Sunday, August 19, 2007

Chicago Day 3/Jiggety Jig

I'm home. Know how I can tell? I'm sitting here in the glider rocker, wondering why the arm is sticky. Ah yes, that's what life in a house with kids is like.

Why is this sticky? What's that smell? Why is this wet? What did I just step in? WHAT is that on the wall?

***

As of yesterday, August 18, I have been alcohol-free for 12 years.

***

Chicago was good! We actually slept in a bit yesterday, which we deserved. Like me, Hood's not sleeping much these days, and his eyes often pop open at workday times. But not yesterday. We both managed to crash 'til nearly 9am.

We took it easy for a while, then headed over to a little town called Park Ridge for a fine breakfast at the Pancake House. After that we were off to Chicago proper, with nothing more than a vague idea that we'd wander around down by the lake.

A good attitude was necessary, as a light rain followed us most of the time as we walked and walked. We ended up on the Navy Pier for a while. It was a great vantage point to take in some more of the air show, which was going on somewhere close by. We saw helicopters, a B-1 bomber, lots of fighters... it was awesome.

(And "awesome" is a word I try to limit my usage of; when I use it, I really do mean that something was awe-inspiring).



We still had to stop down here and there to get out of heavier rain. The worst really didn't start until after we'd left though.

***

We'd decided that morning to take in some baseball. I was of a mind to head over to Beloit and see the Snappers, a Minnesota Twins low A farm club. Beloit, Wisconsin, is also the home of J. Prowse, whom I hoped to get a chance to see. Thing is, their website said they were away, playing at KC.

(Sorry JP... but this wasn't my last trip to Chicago, I promise).

I dutifully informed Hood that dang, the Snappers were playing at Kansas City.

Okay, so I hadn't had my coffee yet. KC is actually Kane County, aka where Geneva, Il. is located, aka the home of the Kane County Cougars, an Oakland A's affiliate. It was 38 miles from the hotel. Road trip!

***

Thing is, driving in Chicago sucks. Really. Any direction you go, at any time, is likely to be bumper to bumper. We thought we had plenty of time, so we mapped a route that didn't call for freeways. Now, I'm not sure being on the freeway would have helped, but really, it took hours to get there. Game time was 6pm, and our 3:30pm departure for the park almost wasn't enough.



Here's a shot from one of the not-so-great neighborhoods we drove through on our way to Geneva. Look in the second floor window: Some sort of creepy mannequin is peering down.

***

Not only was the drive long, but the skies opened up. We kept thinking that surely we two baseball boys, on a mission from God, would fulfill our manifest destiny and get all the way out there just in time for the skies to clear up and baseball to be played.

It looked bad. Bad bad bad.

We found the park, nestled among cornfields, and parked with everyone else. It was cold and wet, but we headed in.

The tarp was on the field, and water was pooled on the warning track. Still, with eight games left in their season, the Cougars and Snappers seemed determined to get some ball in.

And yes, the rain stopped, it really did. Heck, the game even started on time. Amazing.


They even had five parachuters land in the park. I gather it was even intentional.



But seriously, it was pretty damn nifty, especially since one was wearing a helmet-cam, so we could see the descent, as it was broadcast on the jumbo-ton at the park. Okay, the jumbo-tron wasn't exactly jumbo, but what the heck else does one call one of those big video gizmos?

***

The teams were pretty good, gotta say. The Snappers' Henry Rodriguez was DEALING, often setting the side down in order. Only when he tried to field a come-backer with his bare hand did things change. He was clearly hurt, and was taken out of the game only a few pitches later.

There were some baserunning blunders, and not many of the hitters could really rake, but it was still a good ballgame, tied at 5 going into the 11th when a bases-loaded walk won it for the Cougars.



We even got to see a genuine skipper meltdown, as the KC manager was tossed for arguing a close (but muffed) call at first base. He yanked first base out of the ground and tossed it at the ump's feet aka Lou Piniella. It was great!

The park was kind of cool, with kid-friendly activities after every half-inning. I was most stunned to hear them play snippets of Drivin' 'n' Cryin's "Honeysuckle Blue" here and there. I bet the sound guy and I were the only folks in the venue who knew THAT song.

***

Random Chicago observation: We saw about six white guys (and one black guy) with dreadlocks. Here in Texas I usually only see one every couple years.

***

So good trip, good trip. I slept a bit on the flight back, dreaming I was a passenger in a Cessna my father was piloting.

***

Some random words and phrases that recurred during the trip. If there are any you're not familiar with, uh... don't look them up.

Mojito? Mahalo? Mojado?
Merkin
Grex
"I'm here with six of my friends, and they're all named 'Bud'!"

***

I came back to an empty house, as MOBB and the kids are in Corsicana. Restless sort that I am, I grabbed some lunch, then spent all day at the mall.

Perhaps I should have napped or something, but you know me... I'm...



***

It's terrific to be home though. This was exactly what I needed. I'm ready to face the new semester, to get back to work, to get back in gear.

***

Ya'll take care.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If the Snappers had been at home, I'd have been there to give you the grand tour. Pohlman Field is about, oh 4 blocks from my house. Although I wouldn't say my neighborhood has the cache of "Wrigleyville".

You guys brought that '07 version of Texas weather with you...RAIN!

Enjoyed your travelogue...two guys enjoying life, rolling with the punches. Maybe Samantha Brown can document your next trip for Travel Channel.

j.p.

BB said...

So glad you stopped by, JP. I like things up your way. Hood swears he'd like to move to Chicago.

And yeah, we experienced a wide range of weather while there, that's for sure.

Samantha Brown? Hey, twist my arm...

amcnew said...

Congratulations on your anniversary. It is a big deal, and I am proud of you.

BB said...

Thank you. That's very kind. The anniversary means a lot to me.