Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Dapper

So bloody tired. THEGIRL slept better last night, but since we got 4-5 hours of sleep the night before, I imagine the sleep deficit is still having its way with me.

***

Names I suggested for our team here at work: Kung Fu, Tai Chi, Jiu Jitsu, Godzilla, Gamera, Mothra, Megalon, Speed Racer, Racer X, Trixie and Chim Chim.

***

Some dipshit in a UHaul truck ran a sign this morning and nearly broadsided me. She just waved at me and kept going.

***

A guy likes me. I mean... well, LIKES me. He rides the train most mornings. I found it odd the first few times he was chatty, going immediately into my "what the hell does this guy want?" reaction.

Then it clicked. Dapper guy, usually in a nicely tailored shirt, tie, perfect hair, is gay.

Nice enough cat, really. I was crossing the street to work one morning last week, staring at the light. In my peripheral vision I noticed something, and as I had a closer look it turned out to be Dapper Guy, waving energetically.

JoAnn rode the train with me yesterday, and after Dapper Guy chatted with me for a sec, I asked, "Okay, is it my imagination?" She said no.

I don't write this to belittle the man at all. It's just... different.

Well, I'm sure I'll break his heart... but maybe he can give me some wardrobe tips.

***

The Rangers are really not looking so great right now. Baseball is bad about knee-jerk reactions, though, so I'll try to abstain from passing judgment so early.

***

RA Dickey's collapse (literally) on the mound last night was scary. This is a guy born with no ulnar collateral ligament in his pitching arm, something discovered only after he was up for the draft. Scouts advised teams to be wary, and they were.

But the Rangers gave him a shot, and lo and behold, the lack of the ligament was actually sort of a benefit. It's one commonly torn by pitchers. Dickey doesn't have one to tear, and in fact, he's got a rather resilient arm, possible because of this trait. He's a streaky pitcher, but he's fashioned a decent career for himself.

But last night, while mopping up during the Rangers' 13-8 loss to the Angels, he collapsed on the mound. He told the press he'd "never felt pain like this" before. They're saying it's his back, but it sure looked like he was clutching his elbow or triceps to me.

***

No word yet from mysterious employer I interviewed with last week yet. But this is about the time they said they'd be making follow-up calls. I hope to get one.

***

Friday, besides being tax day, is the deadline for Texas Wesleyan's grad school applications. Mine is in, and after that deadline the committee will meet to go over the applications. Makes me nervous, but I remain optimistic.

***

Check THIS out. Bankruptcy laws may get changed--for the worse.

***

Wednesday. My advice: Drink heavily.

No comments: