Saturday, April 09, 2005

Enchipotladas

I locked the keys in the van at work today.

***

If you recall, it's been a rough week for us, vehicle-wise. Kelli's battery died Monday. Tuesday the van wouldn't start; jumping Kelli's car loosened the van's battery connectors, and I didn't have a metric wrench to tighten them. Pliers would not suffice. So, one $6.99 wrench later I was up and running.

And then there was tonight. I left work, eager to get to Hurst for our family's weekly Tex Mex at our favorite restaurant. But the keys weren't in my backpack where they belong.

Yeah, you know that sinking feeling, don't you?

***

I called Kelli, and we decided the best plan would be for her to bring me a spare key, and then we'd get Tex Mex in Dallas. While waiting for her I buzzed a coworker who suggested a place to eat.

***

El Ranchito is fairly close to work, across the Trinity River bridge in Oak Cliff. It's a jumping place, clearly an institution over there. I found the presence of security folks inside and out a bit odd until I remembered it was owned by Oscar Sanchez, the victim of a botched kidnapping plot not long ago. Mr. Sanchez was killed, and one suspect is in jail, while another seems to have fled to Mexico.

Inside El Ranchito we were greeted by staffers who spoke about 90% Spanish. Hmm. A restaurant isn't the most challenging scenario for trying out one's best bad Spanish.

They had a tight mariachi band in there, who threw in bits of Glenn Miller and Looney Tunes once in a while. The light show and the music were perfect to placate tired Laura, who was getting grouchy and belligerent.

Most of the mariachis were in the bathroom when Kevin needed to go though. Plan B: Kelli...!

The food was quite good. Kelli and I both had enchipotladas. Ah, dare ya to try and pronounce it. Hey, I'd never seen the word before. It's just a name for chipotle enchiladas, and man, it was tasty!

The service was very good, the atmosphere was fun, and the food was top-notch. THEBOY said the restaurant was "fun." Oak Cliff has a lot of culture and character, but it's also got a lot of crime. I can't decide if my culture itch was scratched so well that I can shake off the jitters and show my guero face over there very often.

***

Guero is literally "blondie," but it's used more commonly to refer to white folks than gringo, actually.

***

Tired... good night.

No comments: