Friday, April 08, 2005

Pro-human

Jack Johnson is the reason I know the definition of miscegenation. Sad how this man was treated, but he may be headed for a pardon.

***

Rangers lost 7-6. John Lackey had no-hit stuff through five, then had this 14-ish pitch battle with Adrian Gonzalez that seemed to change things. Hidalgo was on first, 3-2 count, and he was running on every pitch. He must have taken off 10 times as Gonzalez fouled a bunch off before taking a walk.

So far it looks like the Rangers have about 2.5 decent starting pitchers.

***

A-Rod the fake. Can't say it pains me to read about this stuff...

***

Tonight it's Tex Mex and baseball. Tomorrow, stats class (ugh), some yard work, more baseball... should be a good weekend.

***

The stats prof is such a trainwreck. I know I've said it before, but there's not a better way to summarize just what a complete disaster he is. Everything he touches turns to shit. He's got three hours a week to lecture, and he cannot nearly keep us caught up. He gets derailed talking about other things. He loses our homework (especially anything emailed to him), can never decide how to handle an unexpected situation... It's hard to even begin to make clear just how inept he is. I like the guy well enough, but hey, I have a soft spot for geeks.

We've got four weeks left. We're supposed to cover four chapters, have one regular test, then have a final the fifth week. No way that's going to happen. He's beginning to think aloud in class, wondering whether it's better to speed lightly through all the material or be more thorough with less.

And we have all of two grades back. Drop date is tomorrow, and we have almost nothing to go on. I suspect a lot of people will coast through this on his sympathy and guilt.

***

I'm not sure ELO every really got their due. That's a band I just never get tired of.

***

Billy Preston did George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord" at the Concert for George and you know, there's something really cool about hearing his Southern gospel-inflected take on this downright purty song.

***

It's been a good couple weeks for smart pop, with the releases of Brendan Benson's The Alternative to Love and Roger Manning, Jr's long-awaited solo album Solid State Warrior. Both are pretty flippin' good. You should read about them in High Bias this weekend, even if I am the one who did the writing, nyuk nyuk...

***

Kelli told me not long ago that when she was a kid her family hosted two performers from Up With People when they performed in Corsicana. Gotta be a heck of a life for them: You tour the country singing pro-human songs and have to stay at a stranger's house at each stop. What do you suppose Corsicana ISD shelled out for a bunch of those guys to bring their anti-down-with-people message to their burg?

***

The interview at the mysterious, unnamed other place went well I'd say. We knew some people in common, one of whom I'm told has since called them to put in a good word for me.

It's 7.7 miles from the house, which would be great. And there's the whole bit about the place not being run by Satan like my current employer.

Resisting... urge... for... new... wave... of... job... whining...

Anyway, not sure mysterious, unnamed other place can pay me what I want. We'll see next week.

***

So... tired... Lenny's makes a fine meatball sub, but I'm a fool for trying to eat it all. And chips. And a cookie.

***

Is it nap time?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As I type this, the Astros just beat the Reds and are now 2-1. Call me ruthless, but I am laughing my ass off that the Mets are 0-4. Yeah, Carlos Beltran left the Astros to be on a "contending" team - the money doesn't mean a thing. Personally, I like Beltran, but even he can't polish the turd that the Mets have become.

Bruiser