Friday, April 15, 2005

Player

More on Johnny Lechner. See Geoff's blog for more on Lechner.

Man, I tinkered around for eight years getting my undergrad degree, but this guy has been in school for 11 years, and isn't graduating yet.

I sometimes joke and tell people I ran away from home when I was 22. And they laugh. I don't think Dad was laughing though...

Ha!

***

Dreamed I was in a club, seeing Bad Brains (the updated Soul Brains name was not used). They'd augmented the band with some other musicians, like a pair of mullet-wearing white guys on keyboards.

Toland was there. They played a short, intense set ("I," "Banned in DC," lots of the classics). Then vocalist HR left the stage, and one of the keyboardists wrapped up the show with--ready for this?--"Baby Come Back" by Player.

People in the crowd were looking around, asking each other if this was some reggae song.

***

I woke up for a bathroom break, went back to sleep and was in the club again. The roadies were breaking things down, and the crowd was almost gone. A Brains roadie cornered a white dude whom I gathered was a reporter. The roadie punched him in the face, pulled out a revolver and shot him. I made a beeline for the exit.

***

Maybe he should have shot the keyboardist.

***

This morning I heard "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" on KZPS, our local classic rock station. Honestly, I don't find it to be that much of a stretch, but I'm surprised the home of DINOSAUR ROCK was so broad-minded.

***

In the Houston area by any chance? Jade Mountain Martial Arts is having a bitchin' Larry Escher seminar tomorrow.

***

Wish I could see the Randy Couture/Chuck Liddell UFC rematch tomorrow night, but since our cable is sort of accidentally stolen, we can't order pay-per-view. I'm tossing around the idea of calling local sports bars to see if anyone's going to have it.

***

Pedro Astacio looked really good last night. Problem was, Roy Halladay looked terrific. The American League Cy Young winner in '03 seems to be fully recovered from rotator cuff surgery, and he baffled the Rangers the whole game.

***

I hate to side with Gary Sheffield, but he handled himself better than I would have expected when that Red Sox fan took a cheap shot at him last night.

***

Last night was bad.

This morning is better.

It's Friday. This has been a long week.

No comments: