Monday, July 17, 2006

Nice try, kid.

Note to DFW radio stations: Holy CRAP with the Aerosmith and George Thorogood.

I mean, okay okay, Aerosmith's been around a long time, had a lot of hits, fits the AOR mold to a T... but when is enough enough?

And damn, George Thorogood just

AIN'T

THAT

DAMN

GOOD.

The guy makes Men Without Hats sound like Van Morrison.

***

Ah, Nadine has updated from India. Go. Click, check it out. Well, finish this first I guess.

***

Yesterday... was kind of a beating. Since it's, oh, as hot as the surface of the sun outside and all, I spent the day mostly indoors with the kids.

And look, I've had development classes, and I've read about attachment and all... but really, I can't go to the toilet without one walking in with me or yelling my name at the door repeatedly until I'm done.

And the dreaded thing happened: THEGIRL didn't nap. I put her in there twice. Nothing. Cripes.

THEBOY, of course, is made from the same technology as those Terminator guys. I don't think he's slept a wink since 2002.

***

I tried to keep a good disposition, I really did. Part of my eventual mood disintegration was my own fault.

As I think I've mentioned, they get gifts from their mother each weekend day while she's away. Yesterday THEBOY's was some... Japanese/Shogun/Robot/Transformer toy.

It took three hours to build.

And you know, the babysitter had built one Saturday... I'd been running late, zipped out the door telling her to give THEBOY breakfast and OH to build this toy.

Turns out the one she built just sheds parts non-stop.

So I built yesterday's with epoxy. That one's staying together nicely, thank you.

***

I gave myself a break. That is, I came into the study, closed the doors, and played guitar. THEGIRL mashed her face to the glass, yelling "I WANNA WATCH THE WABBIT!" over and over.

(Her current favorite movie is that Wallace/Gromit movie, Curse of the Were-Rabbit)

I couldn't hear a thing but my sloppy, un-inspired playing.

Okay, so she could see me, but got no response... wondering how that little scene will play out in therapy... what manner of abandonment issues have I given her?

***

I emerged a bit refreshed, only to discover that she was, um, not.

That is, her drawers stunk.

Hauled her off to change, which she protested. Once she's destroyed her diaper, for some reason she just wants to say no to everything. No to changing, no to cleaning up, no no NO NO!

I was changing her, trying to coax some humor out of her.

I asked, "I know what you don't want. But what DO you want?"

She stopped complaining and thought for a minute.

*

*

*

*

"Cake?"

***

Nice try, kid.

No comments: