Friday, July 07, 2006

True Character? True BULLSHIT

In our ethics class we usually discuss "contemporaneous issues." That is, we're expected to come to class with something to discuss from an ethical standpoint.

Here are my notes for tomorrow:

*

I pass a Hennessy Cognac billboard on I-30 every time I drive to the Texas Wesleyan campus. A photo of Marvin Gaye appears on the advertisement, along with the words “true character." Marvin Gaye was a successful, critically-acclaimed singer. He died April 1, 1984.

He was shot by his father, who was widely reported to be an alcoholic. Marvin Gaye was also a cocaine addict for much of his life.

I cannot imagine by what manner of ethical caveat Hennessy believed it appropriate to advertise that particular product by utilizing the image of a man so closely identified with substance abuse. The fact that this is a posthumous campaign also underscores that the person(s) overseeing the Gaye estate approved the use of his image. Everyone involved has committed a grievous iniquity in the interest of money.

*

This really chaps my butt.

I haven't sent an email to them, but I plan to.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't agree more with you on the Gaye Billboard. It upsets me every time I see it. It's shows no respect for either the artist or his audience.

I'll send an e-mail protest as well.

Michael