Tuesday, July 11, 2006

There are days you have, and days that have you, man.

Before recapping today, I've gotta say that what I saw of the All Star game tonight was cool. Funny, in a scenario where it's late in the game, your team is down by one, there are two on and two out, Trevor Hoffman is on...how many guys would you just about assume to produce the clutch hit?

"Watch him," I said aloud to no one in particular just before Mike Young laid out one of his patented line drives to right field. That was a two-run triple off the closer with the second most saves EVER, folks, and it drove in the eventual winning run.

I love that game.

***

THEBOY likes to wake up THEGIRL each morning while I make breakfast. She usually stumbles in, hair in a great tangle, clutching a stuffed animal or three as she heads to the table.

Today THEBOY told me, "She called me 'Mama'."

Then I saw her go to my room for a moment. She emerged and came towards me, squinting as she asked, "Where Mama go?"

***

I experienced, shall we say, some anxious moments today as I tried to round up a babysitter for tonight. The one I had lined up proved to be a bit difficult to reach, and as the day wore on with no word from her, I really had to shake the bushes. I asked folks I haven't spoken to in MONTHS. I asked folks who have never been in our house, and folks who don't have kids.

I will intersperse this entry with some of the reactions to my inquiries today. I'm not, repeat, NOT upset with anyone who couldn't make it. It was last-minute, you know, and I was in a tight spot. I just found a few of them amusing (well, later, after I got a babysitter and the veins in my head stopped bursting).

***

"I've got to pack for a kids' camp I'm chaperoning tomorrow. I sent my own kids off to their grandmother's house."

***

Had a test in advanced counseling this evening.

Last night I should have studied for it. Yup yup. But I piddled around, then decided the best thing I could do at 10:30pm as far as PREPARING would be go get a good night's sleep.

I'm such a sucker when I sweet-talk myself.

***

"Uh... do they like, uh, cats who don't like kids?"

***

I did at least get up and study this morning. This would prove to be important later. I went over my notes, dug through the textbook some... I figured a couple hours at it this afternoon too would prepare me well. Little did I know that I'd not get any more time to study.

***

"I couldn't get over there until 6pm or after." (Twice)

***

I thought I had time to go to Krav Maga, but I showed up and class was canceled. I headed to my buddy Ken's house and he and I ran through some bag drills for a while.

By that time it was getting into the early afternoon, and I still had nothing lined up. My study time was becoming my "frantically hunt for a babysitter" time.

***

"We're going square-dancing tonight. It's the only night of the week we go out."

***

And we heard from her! It was like the clouds parted and the trumpets blared... I figured I JUST had time to get the kids, pick up the sitter, load them up with burgers and get them home before leaving for class.

You know how this story goes... stop lights all over the place, wrong turns... I got them all back here, said goodbye and split. I had no scantron sheet, no pencil...

I got there about one minute before Dr. E came in and began handing out the tests.

***

The test... I'd say a B is likely... I was up on the material anyway, and like I said, I'd managed to study some. I'd be thrilled to snag an A, but I dunno...

***

Other things are afoot. I have a job interview Friday morning, and a new, GOOD lead on a position where the hiring manager is a buddy of mine. I also zipped a resume to a previous employer today (not one of the evil ones, a good one). They've got an opening that interests me, and I figured it's worth a shot.

***

Now I'm going to do a whole lot of NOTHING for a while. Take care.

1 comment:

Geoff said...

Damn, I completely forgot about the all star game... first time in years that i've missed it.