Thursday, November 10, 2005

Click Click Click

Sorry for all the links today… I don’t intend to just let my little forum become a crossroads for BB-directed web navigating.

***

Current music: “Jessica” by the Allman Brothers. Makes me want to dance like Charlie Brown.

***

Wow. Thirty years ago today the Edmund Fitzgerald went down. I do like the Gordon Lightfoot song, but I always assumed it was about some shipwreck from the 1800s or something. Had no idea this happened when I was seven.

Of course, I haven’t heard the song in a decade or more I guess, so maybe there are date-specific lyrics I’ve since forgotten, like one about the dying crew giving thanks that they’ll no longer have to listen to the Starland Vocal Band.

***

I must say I was pretty appalled by what I read in the Ft. Worth Weekly about prison rape. I’ve emailed them for some clarification on the stats (40% of the rapes occur in Texas, but we’re a huge state with a lot of prisons; that rate might not actually be disproportionate, right?).

Regardless, it’s mind-numbing that even the TDCJ training manual states matter-of-factly that three of 10 first-time prisoners get raped within 48 hours of going behind bars. For more info.

***

I probably enjoyed this a lot more than I should have.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I probably enjoyed this a lot more than I should have."

Perhaps, but I forwarded the link to make sure others enjoy it just as much.

Michael

Anonymous said...

More trivia for those even mildly interested: 1) there is no date reference in the Lightfoot song, so you aren't crazy if you imagine it was 100 years ago; 2) The ship was dived on and found in 535 feet of water in the mid-1990s, sort of a Titanic of the Great Lakes event, minus James Cameron's interest; 3)Divers are not allowed to dive on her anymore and the wreck was filmed for posterity, but the site is considered a graveyard...only the ship's bell was brought up at the request of the families of the dead...it was restored and sits in a cute little museum at Whitefish Point, Michigan. www.shipwreckmuseum.com for further Great Lakes geekdom.