Friday, November 04, 2005

Yee Haw

I am currently in Ft. Worth, Texas.

I am a lunch commute away from the stockyards.

I’m from Texas, in fact.

I’m not exactly a redneck, but I’m no metrosexual.

I don’t have the accent I once did. All the English, linguistics, and broadcasting classes I’ve taken did a solid job of making me conscious of how I speak, for better or for worse.

My forebears come from Louisiana, Oklahoma, Texas…

I’ve been in 1000 honkytonks (and still can’t dance worth a damn... and I don't really care).

I listen to Merle Haggard just about every day.

So why do I get shit from people every time I wear boots? “You’d get beat up in Detroit.”

I’m not gonna go all “The South’s Gonna Do It Again” on them.

I’m fully within my context here, dressing according to my culture and heritage… why is this such a foreign idea?

No comments: