Monday, November 14, 2005

In the process of getting over myself.

Current music: “Ever Fallen in Love?” by the Buzzcocks

***

A coworker told me I’m “looking dapper” today. Nice. I need a haircut though. I’ve got some big hair going on.

I read once where Pete Townshend was talking about the Who’s Live Aid appearance. He talked about what he was wearing, and said, “I looked handsome.”

(It was the best thing he had to say about their performance, in fact.)

It struck me as nervy and cool for him to describe himself that way.

I could stand some nerve and some cool. Working on not being so hard on my looks.

I’m in the process of getting over myself.

***

Current music: “Beat on the Brat” by the Ramones

***

There’s another Brian Briscoe ‘round these parts. I mean, there might be a few for all I know. Or an entire rugby team.

But there’s another in broadcasting/media. He’s a bigwig at Texas Motor Speedway. I believe he's on-air talent for their radio broadcasts.

And seeing as how I’m in television, and I mess around with a little bit of radio work on the side, once in a while I’ll bump into someone who tells me I’m not him. And I agree. Unless they're holding a check with that name on it that needs an account to nestle up in.

I know some folks who know both of us, of course. And Hood met him two weeks ago and told him in detail who I am and about the occasional head-scratching this causes.

Well, on my part anyway, as this guy had never heard of me.

***

Current music: “Strawberry Letter #23” by the Brothers Johnson. God I love this song. Did these guys get nearly big enough?

***

I’m told he’s thin and very tall. My cousin, in fact, came up to TMS recently and got a program with some stuff written by him inside. She sought out my Dad to ask if I’d written that stuff, since they know I dabble in some writing.

***

You deserve a break today. Or a Break, perhaps… you know, something conferred upon yer sweet lil’ head by the powers that be.

A lucky Break, whatever. Call it what you will. But if you’re stopping by here, then indeed, you deserve a Break. I think most every person I know could stand a Break of some sort.

So I will optimistically decree on behalf of the deity/fate/whimsical notion of your choice that you shall get your Break.

And Scarecrow shall get his brain.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Current music: “Strawberry Letter #23” by the Brothers Johnson. God I love this song. Did these guys get nearly big enough?"

***They were pretty big for a brief period, but let Quincy Jones steer them into easy listening disco. I had a best-of by them once, but it really wasn't all that good. "Strawberry" is the best song on it, and they didn't even write it: it's a Shuggie Otis song. You can find the original on Inspiration Information, a strange one-man-band acid soul record that predates Prince by several years.

***This has been your Useless Music Trivia Moment for the day.