Wednesday, November 16, 2005

I’m doing SOMETHING really important

Current music: “The Beast in Me” by Johnny Cash

***

I work at a TV station. I have a badge. It lets me go wherever I want. So when I have things to do like dropping tapes off with the receptionist, I like to cut through the newsroom. Oh, I don’t have any BUSINESS being in there really. But it feels like really important stuff is going on back there, and I just like to walk through and pretend I’m doing SOMETHING really important (instead of just dropping off a dub of a Puerto Rico tourism spot).

***

Mysterio… familiar with this guy? A nemesis of Spider-man? Yeah, he’s got some sort of magical/conjuring powers or something. Not a guy I remember much, but THEBOY woke up this morning, grabbed a Spider-man book that was on his bed and immediately began asking me questions about him. In one picture Mysterio has created an illusion, and it looks like there are THREE of him standing there.

This was difficult to explain to THEBOY.

“So the one in the MIDDLE is a bad guy, but the others are good guys?”

No no… the others are imaginary.

“So are they holding good diamonds?”

What? No. I mean, they’re not holding anything. They’re… pretend. They’re not really there.

“What do they do to people?”

Nothing. They’re just there to fool Spider-man, make him chase the wrong Mysterio.

“But he was really the one in the middle. Spider-man caught him.”

Right.

“So did the others help Spider-man?”

Go eat your breakfast.

***

Current music: “Flight of Icarus” by Led Zeppelin

***

The holiday break is coming, and I need it. I enjoy school, but you know, I’ve been going non-stop for a good while now. I sat there with a textbook in my lap last night, and I could not do much that resembled studying. Got a big test tomorrow night, but you know… jeez, I’m tired.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not that it helps with your Kevin quandary, but Mysterio was a former special effects artists turned criminal. All of his tricks were special effects, nothing magical. The multiple Mysterio thing was his favorite trick, which never worked on Spider-Man, because his Spider-sense would always lead him right to the real one.

You could tell Kevin that the others are like ghosts, not solid and thus incapable of hurting or helping anyone.

Connor did a lot of this random burning question stuff, too. Hell, he does it even more now that he's so interested in science. My favorite: "Uncle Michael, what's inside time?" Umm, well, "time" is more of a concept that a solid object, so there's nothing really inside it, per se...yeah, that went over real well with the 7-year-old.

Michael