Monday, May 08, 2006

The Day the Cacti Bit the Dust

I’d been cleaning house yesterday, and soon everyone was pitching in.

 

Kitchen first, then the living room came along nicely. Kelli and THEGIRL cleaned her room, then THEBOY and I worked in his room.

 

THEGIRL was in there, piddling around, pretending to sleep on his bed.

 

And that’s when she said, “Uh oh, Daddy.”

 

The little terrarium on the windowsill with THEBOY’s cacti was strewn all over the bed. Of all the things for her to notice and lay a hand on in that room, I have no idea how she gravitated to that.

 

It was pretty heartbreaking. He’d taken good care of them, watched their progress… they were big enough that it was time to transplant them to a bigger pot anyway. I grabbed a couple and gave it a shot. No idea whether they’ll live. I hope so.

 

***

 

Sis writes about the Foreigner concert.

 

***

 

Got some yard work done too, and bought groceries during the afternoon.

 

***

 

The terrarium was meant to be a lesson in appreciating things that aren’t products of instant gratification. Our kids have toys and foods and experiences that even 30 years ago when I was a child weren’t nearly as common. It’s difficult to impart the notion that some of the most rewarding things are worth waiting for.

 

I don’t know if I’m doing a good job.

 

***

 

I must have been seven years old when my folks told me we could order a Spider-Man shirt from an ad in the comic book. I forget the cost, but it would take 6-8 weeks to arrive (can you believe it?).

 

So we mailed off the stuff, and I waited and waited.

 

And finally it came, wrapped in plastic. Geoff is right: Nothing smells better than a new t-shirt.

 

It was worth waiting for.

 

***

 

Whit got one too. We were so proud of them that we just went out to the edge of his yard wearing them, standing there for passing cars to see, just hoping they’d admire our cool new shirts.

 

***

 

Wish us luck on the cacti.

 

 

No comments: