Thursday, May 25, 2006

THEBOY Walks!



THEBOY had his graduation from preschool last night! It was quite an enjoyable affair. They sang songs, did little dances... he positively beamed with pride, really basked in the glow of the spotlight.

A year ago he went through the motions at his previous school. He was as old as some of the "graduating" kids, but wasn't going to be moving on to kindergarten. He's got one of those awkwardly placed birthdays that left us having to decide whether to move him into kindergarten early, or keep him in preschool another year.

We took the uncommon route and held him back. Academically he was ready, but socially he wasn't. He's still a sensitive, mindful child, but a year ago he was much less tolerant, period. Other kids could get under his skin in a hurry. We really thought he'd thrive given the chance to be an older child in the group instead of a younger one.

At times this has seemed like the longest year EVER, especially since he's keenly aware of the fact that some of his friends moved on to kindergarten before him.

Really though, he has done exactly as we expected. His current school has mixed him in with "schoolers" (the kids brought in after their day in public school), so he's had a chance to develop social skills among them. I watched him play with a kid last night who had to be 10 (among others). They ran, laughed, yellow, rough-housed... my child is no wallflower. I'd say our decision paid off.

(Forgive the blurry photo, by the way. My policy, in case you didn't know, is to try to avoid identifying my kids by really specific details like names, schools, etc. Too many freaks, weirdos, perverts and assorted ne'er-do-wells out on the web.)

***

Current music: "A Rose in a Garden of Weeds" by Pugwash

***

Funny, not 30 seconds after I published the post yesterday including the line about how I need a job, a potential employer callled me. Things are movin', shakin'... wow!

So I'll try it again:

I need some nachos.

(Anxiously awaiting the nachos here...)

***

Got some yard work done this morning. Got KM in a little while, where I expect I'll wrap up a belt test. Cool.

Ya'll have a good day.

No comments: