Wednesday, May 24, 2006

the little tornadoes

Current music: "Lagrimas Negras" ("black tears") by Conjunto Cespedes. This is a gorgeous Cuban traditional song, I believe, about heartbreak. This version unfolds over the course of about seven minutes, taking its time to grow from an acoustic meditation to a full-blown horn-driven wail.

***

THEBOY has his graduation ceremony from preschool tonight. Since he's got a birthday that makes placing him in the correct class difficult, this is actually the second one he'll go through; he did it a year ago at his former school too.

Last time when the curtain opened he saw the size of the crowd and was overwhelmed. He stood there with his hands over his mouth the whole time. I'm curious to see how he'll react tonight.

***

Had our first advanced counseling techniques class last night. This is my first one from Dr. Ellison, the head of the program. It looks difficult but fun. So far in the program we've covered theories and tests and such, but have been on the outside looking in, so to speak. This is the first time we'll be put in simulated counseling settings--with real issues--to take a crack at this. I feel like a martial artist preparing to spar for the first time.

***

Speaking of which, I'm up for a new belt this week.

Yesterday Kelli and I had the rare opportunity to attend KM together, and that was fun. I had a good class, and I think she did too. We worked on a lot of kicks. I Iove those days when the movements come naturally, without requiring me to be overly conscious of what I'm doing. I whapped the bag with a roundhouse at one point and Sensei said, "Now THAT'S a kick!"

Thank you, thank you...

***

Our first night back from Angleton the kids were wound up, loud. I was doing something I rarely do: Vegging out in front of the TV. I couldn't hear a thing since the little tornadoes were all over the place. Finally we got fed up and told them to go play in their rooms. THEGIRL marched dutifully off, not really bothered by the idea. THEBOY didn't take it so well.

Thing is, it was about dusk, and after a few minutes we realized we'd sent THEGIRL to a pitch-black bedroom to play.

And there she was on the floor, content to play in the dark. Poor sweet girl!

***

Been listening to the Sword lately. Nothing like a good Sabbath-style aural bludgeoning. Thanks Bruiser!

***

I need a job.

***

Happy Wednesday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the boy's (second) graduation. I bet he basks in the glory this time.

The Sword is even better live than on that record. They're road dogs; you should check 'em out if they hit the D/FW area.

Michael