Friday, May 19, 2006

Wow

Man, I went to kickboxing this evening.

Heh heh... actually, it's the class listed on the schedule as "Weekend Killer cardio combatives (Basic Krav Maga & Kickboxing drills)."

They're not kidding about the "killer" part. That was the hardest thing I've done since the half-marathon.

Fun though!

After we'd done hundreds of crunches, worked on combinations on the bag, after I'd seen a puddle of my own sweat on the mat, THAT'S when Sensei told us, "Breathe for one minute; this next drill is the hard one."

He wasn't kidding.

It was crazy: Punch the bag as fast as you can for a minute, then punch it slowly for a minute, focusing on good mechanics the whole time.

Repeat.

Four minutes of having the arms in motion, pounding the bag...

Rough. I'm going to be sore in places I'd have previously needed GPS to find on this old body, man.

***

Gotta say, though, that I'm pleased that for the first time in my life I can consider myself to be an athlete.

***

Really looking forward to this trip!

***

Ya'll have a terrific weekend.

No comments: