Sunday, May 14, 2006

The Sunday Evening Wrapup

Kelli is away tonight, down in Corsicana because her mother is having knee replacement surgery tomorrow morning (both of them).

So it's been just the kids and me since early this evening. It'll be just us tomorrow too. That is, when they're not in the daycare.

***

Good weekend.

Friday night we had a nice dinner gathering at the home of one of Kelli's professors. The hosts were gracious, the company was good, kids behaved...

***

KM was good yesterday. My stamina was top-notch. I could see drops of my sweat hitting the mat by the end of class, but I had some energy left. My combinations were really popping, really coming naturally as we did bag work. Another baby step for me.

***

Yesterday evening I met up with the only and only Geoff Parlett for a good evening of catching up and taking in some baseball. We watched a Cats game over in Ft. Worth. I filled him in about Dodgers draftee Luke Hochevar, a Scott Boras client who couldn't come to terms with LA so is sitting out a year, pitching for the Cats.

What I missed altogether was the fact that Hochevar was actually the pitcher last night (damn unis with no names...)

The kid looked good! I noticed he had a good break on his slider mostly. From our angle we saw lots of guys swinging way over it.

So G-Par filled me in regarding life in DC, how public transportation gets them most places, and what life working for the Belo Capitol Bureau.

Don't be a stranger, Parlett.

***

Cats won 5-4 over the Shreveport Sports, by the way.

***

You know, Sensei told us something that hadn't occurred to me: Krav Maga doesn't teach jabs. The point, he said, is to teach us to try to make every punch a "go-home" punch.

Brutal stuff.

But fun!

***

This morning we got up and headed to Plano to meet the Hoods at Roy's, a Hawaiian restaurant. It was a Mother's Day brunch. We were glad to have a nice meal to celebrate the day. The Hoods were too, not to mention the fact that having an actual mother at the table helped them feel better about showing up at that particular time for their Hawaiian chow fix.

We enjoyed talking to them, and they got a dose of what a long meal with our kids is like. And actually, they (the kids, heh heh) weren't bad.

The food was terrific.

***

After that I took THEBOY to a comic book shop at his request. It was his first trip, and he was in paradise, going from place to place, pointing things out, asking questions.

He got about 50 comics.

You read right.

He got some new ones, some bargain-rack used ones, and this big bundle ("Five pounds of comics for $6.99!") that had some decent titles inside.

***

And tonight we took the rocket toy to a park. Aside from the fact that I stepped on one of the rockets and ruined it, we had a great time. We were in an open area, yet in the shadow of a huge oak tree. The setting sun didn't bake us, and the breeze was just great.

***

Hope ya'll had a good weekend.

Here it is Sunday night, and you know, this is the best Sunday night I've had in a long time.

No comments: