Friday, September 29, 2006

Bitchin'

Ah, a fine Friday evening here. I'm kicking back after a pint of beer... that is, after eating nearly a pint of Breyer's A&W Root Beer ice cream (it was okay, not great).

Just thought I'd get your attention.

The day was pretty good from the get-go; Starbucks offered to microwave my scone this morning, and man did that make it good! Light, fluffy, and full of cinnamony goodness.

And we had our Tex Mex tonight. The mole enchiladas were great. I did eat part of a jalapeno that nearly ended my life though.

***

And now for a possibly-recurring-but-there-are-no-guarantees-since-I'm-writer-and-editor-here feature. I will throw some random complaints at a band, writer, whoever crosses my mind. If you are so inclined, I'd be glad to see your comments on this topic.

This installment is called...

BITCHIN' AT THE BEATLES

1. Ringo... what gives? Why did you EVER let him sing? I mean, "With a Little Help from My Friends" is a good enough song, but you know, I think he and Barb would have still been able to pay to heat the pool if he'd merely been songwriter on that instead of vocalist.

2. Sgt. Pepper... you know, this record is kinda overrated. Sorry! Oh, it's got its moments and all... I really enjoy Harrison's raga-influenced stuff, which this time around took the form of "Within You Without You" (or something like that; I'd doublecheck the title, but I'm feeling kinda lazy).

3. Speaking of George... how in the WORLD did he not get more time? Every song Ringo did should have been swapped out for a George song. Yeah, "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" is a damn sexy song, okay, but I'd say the line "I'll make love to you... if you want me to" from "Love You To" (on Revolver) is the sexiest LINE in a Beatles song. Such droll sexual charisma at work there... The Beatles should have been a three-headed pop monster with a drummer who only opened his mouth to crack jokes.

4. Yoko... oh no!

5. "And Your Bird Can Sing" needs another verse, damn it. The song's only about 1:58 long or something... it's such a gorgeous little pop gem, but it just ends too soon!

***

2006 Survey

So far in ‘06…

1. Have you had more than 5 different serious relationships?
What? I'm married. Do plates of enchiladas count? I've made some commitments to a few.

2. Have you had your birthday?
yes

4. Cried yet?
yes

6. Pulled an all nighter?
No, but between my sporadic night freakouts and the crazy crap that parenting requires sometimes I've been randomly up at all hours.

8. Went shopping?
Seriously... is there anyone who hasn't "went shopping" in '06?

9. Been camping?
Not this year. The cat smacked a possum who was stealing his food, and witnessing that felt a little bit like being in the wilderness though.

10. Been to the beach?
yes

11. Bought something for over $200?
Not for myself, but the gift gods have been kind. My sweet new Tony Lamas were nearly that much. Wore them today in fact. And the jacket International Wife brought me from Italy... well, let's just say I'm glad I don't know much about the conversion rate from US dollars to Euros.

12. Met someone new?
yes

13. Been out of state?
Jeez, I don't think so. Wow.

14. Gone Snowboarding?
nope, never

[[Have you…]]

1. Hugged someone?
I'm a parent. I often hug someone before even brushing my teeth in the morning.

2. Slept in someone else's bed?
Yes, when I've been "company" at someplace like Dad's house or in Corsicana.

3. Snuck someone over?
What? Do teenagers write ALL of these things?

4. Snuck out of your own house?
Ha... yes! When you have an occasionally-clingy toddler who may wail if she sees you leave, you end up doing this sort of thing.

6. Lied?
No, but maybe I should. Telling the truth just seems to get me in trouble.

8. Gone over your cell phone bill?
yes

9. Been called a whale?
What? No. Maybe a Spanish mackeral or a herring though.

10. Drove somewhere?
yes... ah cripes, it's high school all over again.

11. Done something you regret?
sure

[[Lasts…]]

Last Thing you bought?
The aforementioned ice cream

Last Person you hugged?
My daughter

Last time you took a shower?
Yesterday

When was the last time you felt stupid?
Wednesday

Who did you last yell at?
Not sure "yelling" ever fully fits what I do... but THEGIRL did get BIG DADDY VOICE tonight in the restaurant for sticking out her tongue at her mother.

What did you do today?
Worked in coal mine. Cue the Devo.

01. Hometown: Hurst, Tx

02. Natural hair color: brown and silver

04. Hair style: Wash & wear, which apparently refers to a variation of "sloppy" that's acceptable due to the presence of gel.

05. Eye color: brown

06. Height: 5′ 11″

07. Weight: 160

08. Mood: lazy

***

This just in... this just in... Kelli, aka International Wife, will henceforth be known--when I'm in the mood for nicknames at least--as Mail Order Bride.

***

THEBOY's been jabbering about Muay Thai ever since Sensei called him "a future Muay Thai pro" the other night.

***

Better boogie, I guess. Be good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, as someone with a russian mail-order stepmother, i find that offensive. just kidding, they're always funny!

Amanda said...

So far in ‘06…

1. Have you had more than 5 different serious relationships?
I haven't even had 5 in my entire life.

2. Have you had your birthday?
no

4. Cried yet?
yes

6. Pulled an all nighter?
Many, with my daughter, who refuses to sleep about half the time.

8. Went shopping?
But not enough. I am shopping-deprived.

9. Been camping?
With two little kids? Hell no.

10. Been to the beach?
yes

11. Bought something for over $200?
Why yes, a delightful new central a/c for $4K.

12. Met someone new?
yes

13. Been out of state?
No

14. Gone Snowboarding?
nope, never

[[Have you…]]

1. Hugged someone?
I hug two little people every day, and sometimes the dog too.

2. Slept in someone else's bed?
Yes. I took a nap in Aaron's twin bed with all of his stuffed animals... and woke up with a neck spasm that lasted two weeks.

3. Snuck someone over?
No

4. Snuck out of your own house?
Yes, to get away from my toddler. I often go into the laundry room pretending to do laundry, and instead walk around the block. (if Eddie is home to watch the kids that is...)

6. Lied?
Honestly? I lie to my kid sometimes. Small stuff like, "We can't go chase the ice cream truck because I have no money," when I really just don't feel like doing it.

8. Gone over your cell phone bill?
yes

9. Been called a whale?
No, though my former employer recently told me I looked, "prosperous," and proceeded to discuss my recent weight gain.

10. Drove somewhere?
yes... ah cripes, it's high school all over again.

11. Done something you regret?
sure

[[Lasts…]]

Last Thing you bought?
books for the kids at open house

Last Person you hugged?
My little girl

Last time you took a shower?
Today

When was the last time you felt stupid?
Thursday

Who did you last yell at?
My son, because he was piddling around and not brushing his teeth like I had told him to.

What did you do today?
Went to a bowling birthday party. Ate mexican food. Rented movies.

01. Hometown: Angleton, Tx

02. Natural hair color: brown, with some grays sneaking in.

04. Hair style: Medium-length shag

05. Eye color: brown

06. Height: 5 ft 5 in

07. Weight: 136.4 as of this morning

08. Mood: lazy

Anonymous said...

BITCHIN' AT THE BEATLES

1. Ringo... what gives? Why did you EVER let him sing? I mean, "With a Little Help from My Friends" is a good enough song, but you know, I think he and Barb would have still been able to pay to heat the pool if he'd merely been songwriter on that instead of vocalist.

***He's no Lennon or McCartney - hell, he's no George - but he's not that bad. I think he's fine for stuff like "Octopus's Garden."

2. Sgt. Pepper... you know, this record is kinda overrated. Sorry! Oh, it's got its moments and all... I really enjoy Harrison's raga-influenced stuff, which this time around took the form of "Within You Without You" (or something like that; I'd doublecheck the title, but I'm feeling kinda lazy).

***I agree. This album was sonically groundbreaking at the time, but doesn't have the best allotment of material, and it's songs that stand the test of time, not sound. I mean, it's got "A Day in the Life," sure. But nothing else on it comes close to that standard. And let's face it, this record sounds dated in a way Revolver - or even Pet Sounds, McCartney's inspiration for making Sgt. Pepper - doesn't.

3. Speaking of George... how in the WORLD did he not get more time? Every song Ringo did should have been swapped out for a George song. Yeah, "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" is a damn sexy song, okay, but I'd say the line "I'll make love to you... if you want me to" from "Love You To" (on Revolver) is the sexiest LINE in a Beatles song. Such droll sexual charisma at work there... The Beatles should have been a three-headed pop monster with a drummer who only opened his mouth to crack jokes.

***Lennon and McCartney had enough problems fighting over their own songs to let in someone else's, I suspect. Two egos in one band is usually more than enough.

4. Yoko... oh no!

5. "And Your Bird Can Sing" needs another verse, damn it. The song's only about 1:58 long or something... it's such a gorgeous little pop gem, but it just ends too soon!

***I dunno...I think it's fine the way it is. I like a song that says what it has to say and shuts up.

***

2006 Survey

So far in ‘06…

1. Have you had more than 5 different serious relationships?
I haven't had any in 2006.

2. Have you had your birthday?
Yep.

4. Cried yet?
Not that I can think of. I haven't watched Dumbo in a while.

6. Pulled an all nighter?
Not by choice. Insomnia is a bitch.

8. Went shopping?
Well, duh. I have to eat like everyone else.

9. Been camping?
Nope.

10. Been to the beach?
Nope.

11. Bought something for over $200?
Does surgery count?

12. Met someone new?
Yes.

13. Been out of state?
Not this year, not so far.

14. Gone Snowboarding?
Um, no. Ever. It's never occurred to me.

[[Have you…]]

1. Hugged someone?
Yes.

2. Slept in someone else's bed?
Yes.

3. Snuck someone over?
What? Why?

4. Snuck out of your own house?
I live alone. Who would I be stepping out on? My hand?

6. Lied?
No. Well, maybe.

8. Gone over your cell phone bill?
No cell phone.

9. Been called a whale?
Uh...no.

10. Drove somewhere?
No, I have the ability to teleport.

11. Done something you regret?
Probably.

[[Lasts…]]

Last Thing you bought?
A candy bar. And shame on me for it.

Last Person you hugged?
Nunnayerbizness.

Last time you took a shower?
This morning.

When was the last time you felt stupid?
About a half hour ago.

Who did you last yell at?
One of my bosses.

What did you do today?
Wrote program descriptions, replaced ancient episodes of ACL in the tape library, set up dubs, bitched about our antiquated equipment.

01. Hometown: Austin, TX

02. Natural hair color: brown and silver

04. Hair style: Short.

05. Eye color: How the hell should I know?

06. Height: 5′ 10″

07. Weight: 207

08. Mood: brain dead

Michael