Monday, September 18, 2006

heart-filled sky

It’s a quiet Monday morning here. I’ve had my biscuits, and this Starbucks Gold Coast I’ve brewed up (thanks again, Amanda) hits the spot nicely.

***

THEBOY was quite popular this weekend. He had sleepovers Friday and Saturday (here and away, respectively). And he’s got a female buddy coming over for a playdate this afternoon.

This buddy, by the way, recently (snail) MAILED him a picture she drew of the two of them gazing at each other beneath a heart-filled sky. Hoo boy.

But that’s not all… he’s got another little girlfriend, whom, he has confided in his mother, he loves.

The teacher reports that they’re quite an item, as she pinches his cheeks and gives him kisses.

And there you go. At age five he has already had as many girlfriends as I ever had.

Damn those generation-skipping “studly” genes…

***

We had a meaningless errand to run yesterday afternoon, the kind that involves me walking around Lowe’s and staring at various construction materials while I make a plan in my head.

On the way over THEBOY spotted my iPod and put it on. I must say that I wasn’t prepared for the sight of him with his eyes closed, listening to “Stain on the Sun” by the Bevis Frond, and playing slow air guitar.

He progressed to drums later.

***

Yesterday evening I sat down to finish the 2nd DVD of Mind of Mencia Uncensored Season 1. Had a lot of good laughs out of that one.

***

The Who are indeed coming to Dallas on this tour after all. We last saw them in ’00, while Kelli was pregnant with THEBOY. I was listening to some MP3s from that tour this morning, remembering the “holy crap they’re not just messin’ around” feeling I got when Townshend bashed out the first chords in “I Can’t Explain.”

I don’t know whether we’ll go see them this time. We’re not exactly flush with cash at the moment.

***

On the trip to Angleton I sort of fell in love with the Who’s “My Wife” again. I always get a chuckle at the bit about how he says he wants to get a “black belt Judo expert with a machine gun” to protect him from his angry wife.

***

So ZZ Top have split with manager Bill Ham after all these years. I find this quite interesting.

According to scuttlebutt, Ham’s quite the control freak. As big as they were in the 80s, didn’t you ever wonder why you never saw them, say, at big concerts like Live Aid, or maybe playing live on MTV? Unplugged perhaps? A Lone Wolf (Ham’s company) property is apparently only to be made available in a context in which the viewer/listener has forked over cash, period.

Ham’s tight-fisted ways are rumored to have nearly ruined Eric Johnson’s career in the early 80s.

***

Have a good day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

....put on my lead boots and take a lo-ong drive, I may end up spendin' all-a my money, but I'LL STILL BE ALIVE!

Viva, The Ox!

My first Who album, "Who's Next" purchased in 1985 at age 16. At that point, I learned what "cool" was all about, although I couldn't live up to it completely.

J.P.