Monday, September 11, 2006

A Little Hank Chinaski

Gotta say, it's a fine day, somehow, for a Monday. The weather is nice, kids were good this morning, I slept almost enough...

***

It was a good weekend I'd say. THEBOY and I attended the BJJ tournament Saturday afternoon. That is, after much guidance from International Wife to GET us there (hey, the location changed at the last minute, okay?) we found the place.

Four mats were set up in what appeared to be a junior high gym (I know, those last three words make me shudder too). I saw quite a few people I know, many of whom were competing. Now, given that it was really hot in the gym, and that I was in the company of a five-year-old, I'd say our stay of about an hour was a success. He liked what he saw, often blurting out a loud "AWESOME!" at a good takedown or reversal.

***

I now have two bags and a little mat set up in the garage. I took THEBOY out there yesterday to do some work. As of yet my school doesn't offer a kids' class, so I figured I'll just show him what I can here. We worked on stance, defensive position, hammerfists, elbows and kicks. The last five minutes were "all request," so he zipped around from place to place, beating on the speed bag or doing some side kicks... just whatever grabbed him.

***

No job news yet.

***

Hoping to get down the Houston and Angleton this week.

***

Been reading some Bukowski again. Nothing like a little Hank Chinaski to give a guy a good perspective on working for a living. Or not.

***

Hoping to get over to the Amon Carter Museum to check out an exhibition of depression-era photos in color. Looks like pretty gripping stuff. We'd have gone today, but they're closed on Mondays.

***

At this moment I don't think I'm going to go into September 11 stuff.

***

Now International Wife is making noises about spending six weeks in Greece.

***

Boogie time. Be good.

1 comment:

Geoff said...

Saw Bound for Glory when it was in DC ( I think at the LoC, but it may have been the archives. Great show....

About 25% of the bureau will be gone by Friday and the "they're shutting the place down" rumors are starting up hard core. I have to say its getting to me. I'm stuck between 'screw them I came up from nothing and so theres nothing they can do to me' and wondering if my cousins from New Mexico can still take me on at the scrap yard...