Thursday, September 28, 2006

The Music Enthusiast

When the music enthusiast died, his friends and family sought the answer to the question they’d discussed so lightly with him over the years.

What song should be played at the funeral?

*

There in the funeral home it was revealed. Some of the people didn’t know the song by name (though many of them recognized it once they heard it). His music enthusiast friends could only smile and scratch their heads at his selection: “Jessica,” by the Allman Brothers.

And the man in the suit told them, as the song began, “It is the wish of the deceased that if anyone would like to dance, they may.”

So every man, woman and child danced there beside his casket in the funeral home. It was the best funeral ever.

***
***

(That’s pure fiction, by the way. Simply a whim that struck me)

***
***

Well, I’ve learned a lot about myself this week, inside and out. Calf and shoulder are much better, but this back, while improved from last night, is pretty tender. Dang. I see my chiropractor in the morning.

The job has been an eye-opening, humbling, and at times white-knuckle experience.

***

Thank you for the comment on the “Imagine This” post, Henley.

***

Watching The Ultimate Fighter right now… gotta say it wasn’t so cool of Rich Franklin to show up and refuse offers to roll (like from Ft. Worth’s own Travis Lutter), then snort at the lack of action he saw on “cardio day” from the gassed-out fighters.

***

Ya’ll have a good one.

2 comments:

Geoff said...

I tried to dance at a funeral, New Orleans Style.
I joined the grave dancers union, I had to file. - Soul Asylum

Anonymous said...

Can I have "Kick Out the Jams" played at my funeral?

Michael