Sunday, September 03, 2006

Tears, Sweat and Flood

Yeah, I've been MIA somewhat lately.

Last week was just freakin' lousy, and not only for me. I was just a bit too... preoccupied to blow off steam here. Sometimes--and it's not often, obviously--the stuff that's on my mind doesn't belong on here.

***

The job the job... okay, back to the drawing board. Not even going into it.

***

The best thing that happened all week was my test for orange belt. I mean, it was a couple hours of hardcore exertion, a real mind and body test during which I sweated as never before. The folks being tested were yelled at, cursed at, pushed to the point of exhaustion and called names (I believe a brown belt called me "Shirley" at one point... and Whit laughs...).

The point was to stress us out as much as possible and see what came out of us. "This is where we see how you fight," said Sensei.

I'd change a couple of things, like an awkward headbutt and an ill-advised Shonie Carter-style backfist...

But I passed.

***

It was really physical, obviously. I gave myself the best chance I could by being prepared. I slept well (bless International Wife for letting me sleep in), ate right--and at the right time, wrapped the wrist, taped the toes, took enough to drink, and somehow managed to walk that line between pacing myself and showing the explosive technique so important to this style and to our evaluators on test day.

Truth be told, when we were done I thought we were just on break. I'm pleased that I had a little more left in the tank.

I wasn't quite prepared for how physical it would be in the sense that I'm a bit beat up. I've got a fistful of discolored/sore places for which I can't recall an origin. Well, I know the forearms hurt because Ken beat the hell out of them in a choke drill (over and over). But that's okay, because I beat him up too.

And my cup saved me, again.

***

Here's a shot I already shared with many of you. It's our Sensei going over a knife drill with my buddy Mr. Angel and me while Kelli watches on in the background.




***

Today... today could have been the type of day to crack my sanity, ya'll.

Last night we'd had a flooded bathroom due to an errant toddler's fascination with the sink.

Today we had two more flooded bathrooms and a flooded garage, and we don't think the toddler had anything to do with it.

I'm not going into the specifics of all that happened today. We had a bad clog somewhere in the pipes today. It overflowed both toilets at different points, and caused the shower AND the tub to spit disgusting stuff out of the drains at different points.

And the washing machine was running, and due the clog, well, the draining water had no good place to go.

I kept cool, worked hard, and as of now have two working toilets and have watched one washing machine cycle go off without a hitch.

***

Tomorrow it's off to Corsicana. I like our trips to see the inlaws.

Ya'll take care.

No comments: