Thursday, September 21, 2006

Candy and Sugar

So check out this video that Toland sent me by an 80s band called Candy. How in the world did I never hear these guys? Yeah, they look like a bad hairmetal band, okay... but this wasn't a bad strain of jangle pop. He tells me this never even came out on CD.



***

Watching Pee Wee's Playhouse. The kids love it. THEBOY loves to watch the El Hombre cartoons. Lots of talent on this show. Laurence Fishburne, Jimmy Smits, some gal from Law and Order... and heck, John Singleton was a PA or something on this. And Mark Mothersbaugh of Devo did the music. Wow.

***

You know... let me indulge my whims a bit here... I have moments where I think sugar should be a controlled substance.

Look, I know that's a bit extreme and all, but you know, remember all that media attention recently about how we're so different physiologically than we were as recently as 150 years ago? Yeah, we do have access to an abundance of healthy foods. Chances are that those folks back then were a bit undernourished.

But we've gone past the line, and this obsession with sweet, sugary stuff is really damn detrimental to our health. We eat sweets every day--how often do you think those folks from 150 years ago even had access to something like a piece of candy?

Obesity and diabetes are such huge challenges... I think that by and large we're demonstrating a fairly predominant inability to reasonably control our sugar intake.

Ta dah... more pointless hoo-ha from the BB.

***

So the TB test came back negative, not that the clinic was awfully forthcoming with that information.

The nurse looked at the bump on my arm briefly, rubbed it three times and said, "The front desk will give you paperwork" before unceremoniously turning around and disappearing into the building.

I figured I'd just read the paperwork for my results.

So when they called me name and handed it to me, I was out the front door before I realized it was in a SEALED ENVELOPE.

Aw hell no. I opened it.

Negative.

***

KM went wel today. Ken and I broke the bag. Or maybe it was just him. Or heck, maybe it was me.

The doggone support inside of it snapped. It flopped around like... uh... something floppy.

***

Got my orange belt today too--ta dah!

***

BB need snack. Good night.

***

PS--Hoping to check this out. It's a show at the Fort Worth Museum of Science and History called "Fine Line: Mental Health/Mental Illness." Looks like some pretty compelling stuff. Starts this weekend.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I clicked on the Candy video and realized I had this tune on CD. Rhino released a three-disc set called "Poptopia! Power Pop Classic" in 1997 and it covers the 70's, 80's, and 90's. All three discs are excellent ("Going Down To Liverpool" by The Bangles has harmonies to die for) - even has a Jellyfish song on the 90's disc ("That Is Why"). Email me and I'll get you a copy of all discs to you.

Funny, but in the YouTube comments someone mentions that Gilby Clark (Guns 'n' Roses/Supernova) was the lead guitarist for Candy. Sure 'nuff, that is him...

Bruiser

Anonymous said...

Alice Cooper's recent guitarist Ryan Roxie was also a Candy alum. Funnily enough, despite having writers like Roxie, Clarke and Kyle Vincent (lead singer) in the band, bassist Jonathan Daniel wrote all the songs.

I've got those Rhino power pop CDs as well. Great stuff.

The Candy album is one of the holy grails for the power pop underground. If it ever comes out on CD, Not Lame will probably devote its entire website to promoting its sale. Not sure why it's never been reissued.

Michael

Danny Henley said...

OK guys, I just don't get this Candy thing. Are you guys actually saying you enjoy listening to that song?

And I agree on the sugar as controlled substance thing. People obviously have too little will power to resist it, and companies put the crap in everything. Even worse is high fructose corn syrup. Some people don't even realize that it is a potent sweetener that is as bad or worse than sugar. It is the first ingredient in a ton of uber-sweet, super-fattening products. And they also put it in a ton of supposedly healthy products - granola bars, packaged rice, fruit juice, and "natural" sodas.

Why can't I get a bottle of green tea without high fructose corn syrup or aspartame in it?

Interesting factoid: the EU has a trade barrier to high frustose corn syrup because it comes from bio-engineered corn. Everything over there is sweetened with actual sugar - from sugar beets and sugar cane. And it tastes so much better! Eating a small quantity of something with real sugar is actually satisfying. High fructose corn syrup leaves me wanting more of something sweet for some reason. It just doesn't taste right. Ever had a Dr. Pepper made with real sugar instead of HFCS? Those things taste so much better, and one hits the spot. No need for a Super Big Gulp.

The use of HFCS instead of sugar escalated in the 80s, and so did obesity rates. Is there a connection? Who knows? Either that or Americans started losing their will power and self control at approximately the same time for some other reason.

OK - done with my anti-HFCS rant.

Anonymous said...

Not only do I enjoy listening to that song, I'd love to hear the rest of the record. (Though most 80s power pop bands tended to have only one good single in them.)

Your HFCS thing reminds me of the movie Super Size Me. How much do we count on personal responsibility and will power and how much on corporate responsibility? It's a tough question.

Of course, HFCS is a different issue in an important way. You can choose not to walk in a McDonald's and order their unhealthy crap. But, unless you grow and manufacture your own food, you pretty much can't avoid buying food with HFCS in it. That makes the above question a lot more difficult.

Michael