Sunday, September 04, 2005

Aaaaaaah

Sunday morning here, a fine, lazy time. Kevin's watching some movies, the grownups got to read the paper, and Laura's down for her late-morning nap. Aaaaaah.

***

Erik and Vicky stopped by the inlaws' place in Corsicana for a stretch yesterday. They're on a whirlwind Texas trip, which was scheduled to include some soccer in Frisco and then baseball in Houston. That's a lot of driving, but they've got the time, the inclination, and the freedom to do it. Was nice to see them, do some catching up.

Both have family in New Orleans (it's where Erik grew up, in fact). Though they're reasonably certain they're safe, they're still waiting to hear from them.

***

THEBOY watches movies in Corsicana, just camped out in his grandfather's bedroom. It's an indulgence we allow.

***

But yesterday we unveiled his new bicycle, and he had fun riding it, did pretty well. The big SECRET didn't last long though. I'd stashed the bike in the back of the van and covered it with a blanket. I hoped it wouldn't draw any attention; we're always hauling stuff back and forth to and from Corsicana. But even before we had Laura buckled in for the trip, he blurted out, "HEY--why are we taking a bicycle to Grandnell's house?"

Doh! It was a good laugh at least.

***

On the way down THEBOY reminded Kelli of the time not long ago when she ran over a dead skunk. The car smelled awful, of course. THEBOY wrapped up his comments by saying, "I loved it!"

***

A fire broke out a Toland's apartment complex. SCARY indeed, but it was a storage facility or somesuch from what I gather. There was certainly the potential for it to spread, but the firemen showed up and got it under control in good time.

***

Today, with any luck, I'll hook up with Llorca and/or Hood someplace for... lunch? Coffee? An afternoon of watching Texas play the Royals?

***

I was thinking not long about people who have birthdays on 9/11, like my supervisor. Awful indeed to have to share your day with the anniversary of a tragedy.

Now I'm one, as Katrina blew into New Orleans on the morning of August 29, my 37th birthday. I know this is a tremendous tragedy, but I don't know that it'll be so closely associated with the date like the New York tragedy was.

I'll certainly remember the connection though.

***

My CDs are trickling in, the ones I ordered with my birthday loot. Other goodies too, like the book Darby O'Gill and the Good People. Seems to be a charming little collection of short stories, written in a Gaelic-inflected English dialect. Can be a bit of a challenge to read.

Also got Particle's Launchpad CD. It's funky, it's tight, it's instrumental, and it's good driving music. Unless, of course, Kelli is along, as it drives her nuts for some reason. In some ways we're as different as night and day. Hell, she sat through the Beach Boys' "Kokomo" on the radio yesterday. If there had been a cliff around I'd have driven right off of it.

***

Also got Ruckus by Galactic, though I haven't had a great chance to listen to it yet. And I finally replaced my lent out/MIA copy of the New Orleans funk compilation Ain't No Funk Like N.O. Funk. It features the great "Wolf's Remedy" by All That. Heck, it's how I first heard of Galactic, in fact.

***

Ah... the weekend's not even half over yet. Have a good one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A fire broke out at Toland's apartment complex.

And I was just saying that very afternoon that if anything ever happened (natural disaster or whatnot) he could always come to live with me. Spooky.

Georgina