Tuesday, September 06, 2005

The Line Between Mortification and Hilarity

Hoo boy.

Couple weeks ago THEBOY wanted to listen to an iPod. Kelli's was right there, but the battery was dead.

So tonight as I prepared to go work out I let him listen to mine for a bit. I punched up "Crisis King" by Helmet, and it was funny to watch him rock out. Loved hearing him say, "This is rock 'n' roll!" and respond to one of Kelli's questions with a loud, "WHAT??"

Unfortunately, the next song (the iPod selects them at random) started before I knew it. Soon THEBOY asked, "What's a focka?"

Hoo boy, again.

Kelli gave me the evil eye, and I took the iPod off of him. He said, "The guy said 'mocka focka'."

***

"Why, look at the clock--it's bedtime!"

The crisis was shortlived though. By the time we got his PJs on, as I tried to straddle that line between mortification and hilarity, I explained that he shouldn't say that. He said, "I'm not supposed to say 'rocka docka'?"

Right!

Case closed.

***

Got some more goodies in the mail today.

First, a Jellyfish bootleg DVD courtesy of one of the Jellylist guys. It's got four acoustic shows, one of which I actually attended in 1993. I don't seem to be visible in the shot (I stood on the staircase behind the band), but I'm tickled to have the footage anyway.

Then there's Charles Brown's A Life in the Blues, which has a live DVD and concert CD (of the same performance I think). I watched the DVD, and it's just... splendid. No other word for it. Longtime guitarist Danny Caron is featured as much as Brown, and the whole band is having a ball. It's a 1990 show, about an hour long. I'm gonna enjoy that one a lot.

Finally is a VHS of a rare Soundgarden live performance entitled LOUDER THAN LIVE. It's something that usually goes for $50 and up if you can find it. I found a copy on Amazon Marketplace for $15, but the description made it sound kinda beat up. And the case is indeed in bad shape, but it plays perfectly. I hope to transfer it to DVD quite soon, if there's no copy protection on here (it's from 1990 too).

The performance is quite good, but short, at about a half hour total. And the footage--ugh. Annoying MTV-style blurry, herky-jerky nonsense in black and white. I'd say Soundgarden were an exciting enough live band that they didn't need to be propped up with such gimmickry.

Got a pair of videos tacked onto the end too: "Hands All Over" and "Loud Love." Of all the music videos I've ever seen, well, those are two of them.

***

Almost bedtime for me, rocka dockas. Sleep tight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Clearly Kevin didn't understand the context, so I doubt he'll be repeating the phrase at school.

Too bad, in a way. He could be credited with starting the new slang term "rocka focka."

Michael