Friday, September 30, 2005

On the Business of Screwing Up One's Papers

Current music: “Bomber” by Motorhead.

***

Paper screwup #1:

We’ve got a lot of short (5-6 pages) papers due in my classes this semester. Probably a dozen in all.

Last night I learned that I’d somehow turned in a rough draft of a paper and a final draft of the same paper for two assignments.

The kicker? He didn’t catch it. The rough draft got me an 85, the final a 91. Nice to see that finalizing a paper did indeed improve it at least.

***

Then came the exchange with Amber, who is also in my Saturday class. She wanted to ask me a question about the paper that’s due.

My response:

(You guessed it)

“What paper?”

CRAP.

Looks like I’ll be busy tonight…

***

There is one (1) other new male student in the grad psych program. He’s brilliant, all of 22 maybe, and utterly immature and full of himself. Being around him is painful. When he's not talking about himself he's saying wholly inappropriate or embarrassing things. Someday he'll be good at this, as he's quite intelligent. But my God... I feel like an old wolf around him, just watching the young pup go bananas... I shake my head, just sit back and let him make a fool of himself.

***

Happy Friday.

3 comments:

Geoff said...

Must take you back to your early Belo days hanging around me....

BB said...

Not quite... This guy clearly enjoys rocking the boat when he's got the snap to realize what he's doing. And the rest of the time he's talking himself into a corner the likes of which I've rarely witnessed. He makes guys like you and me feel much better about ourselves, believe me. I wanted to like him--but I don't!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so very much for taking your time to create your blog. Excellent work