Sunday, September 25, 2005

How Not to Write

From Benedict Anderson's Imagined Communities:

"My sense is that on this topic both Marxist and liberal theory have become etiolated in a late Ptolemaic effort to 'save the phenomena'; and that a reorientation of perspective in, as it were, a Copernican spirit is urgently required."

***

Ha! It's in a book Kelli has to read for a class. I've gotta read a fair amount of stuff for my classes, but yeesh, Kelli's reading about fives times as much for hers. Maybe more.

***

Good weekend here. Some degree of normalcy is returning to Brazoria County, hopefully. Amanda and Eddie returned home to find nothing of any real consequence awaiting them. Dad's back too. I haven't heard how Matagorda fared.

***

I've got this crazy idea: I'm thinking about running a marathon. I know, I know... I limp just a bit when I walk right now, sure. I banged up my knees something awful by running in mid-grade cross-trainers.

But if I can get some good shoes, get my knees healed...

See, after my latest run it occurred to me that I felt great. I mean, after three miles my energy was good. If not for the throbbing knees I could run double that for sure.

And you know, it's just kind of opening my mind to my potential. I think I could train and do this thing. Whit's in one in January. I don't know if that gives me enough time, but it's something I'll mull around.

***

I'm down to 168, a drop of seven or eight pounds in two months. I'm not strictly in this for weight loss; though I'm changing shape (some of my pants are comically loose now), I understand that some muscle tissue is replacing fat. I'm looking at something of a tradeoff in weight.

But I think I'd look pretty good at 160. Lean is the way for me. I'd stand a better chance of looking like Lance Armstrong than Lou Ferrigno (as I've told some of you).

***

Interesting things coming up: I've got October 2 Rangers tickets, good ones. Last weekend of the series, and I plan to go sans kids. Hope to take the wife, actually.

October 7 the Wallace/Grommit movie opens, and I think it'd be a hoot to take THEBOY. Same weekend there's a play on campus called Blues Man I'd like to see.

The next weekend I've got a psych mid-term, and (oh yeah) Kelli's birthday wingding.

Ya'll have a good week por favor.

No comments: