Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Terrestrial Ephemera

Cool… the UK’s University of Glamorgan is offering a degree in astrobiology. Yep, that’s the search for extraterrestrial life.

***

I’ve started the search for new, terrestrial daycare for the kids. Today I visited a neighborhood place that left a decent first impression. I’d say they’ve got a very good staff, good curriculum, and modest-yet-clean, well-maintained facilities. Kelli needs to see this place too, of course. I have another I hope to visit soon.

***

Transitioning the kids from Primrose, the only school they’ve ever known, concerns me greatly though. Gotta figure out how to do it.

***

Moments of clarity:

Not to knock Johnny Cougar, but he was sort part of one for me, musically. We were driving from Houston to Lake Jackson when I was 14 or 15. It’s about an hour-long drive, and the radio played “Pink Houses” about five times. And I remember thinking that I KNEW there were more records in the record store, but radio just wasn’t cutting it for me, variety-wise. I knew I’d have to seek out good music on my own. And I have been ever since.

*

Standing at a Judas Priest concert in the late 80s, watching my mullet-sportin’ brethren rock out, chucking lit cigarettes, and just generally raising a ruckus. But… the DUMBNESS of it all overwhelmed me. I hated it. Leather, motorcycles, fist-pumping… I suddenly felt like I was an active participant in a cartoon, some sort of satire of my life.

(Thus spake the man who occasionally thinks, “Ace of Spades” by Motorhead is the greatest song ever.)

*

Realizing that, for some people, there’s no happy ending.

That won’t be me.

No comments: