Sunday, February 27, 2005

Ah, Wal Mart. If you think it's bizarre in the daytime, try doing your grocery shopping there at midnight on Saturday (well, Sunday I guess).

I saw people with babies and tiny little kids there. Heaven help me if I've ever got my kids with me at Wal Mart at that time of day. That would mean something has gone drastically wrong. Most likely it'd mean that my little mind has finally snapped: "Me and them babies need to go get some S'MORES FLAVORED POP TARTS cuz I got the munchies."

In fact, if I ever refer to being hungry as "the munchies," call Dr. Phil.

I saw a transsexual. I don't mean a drag queen. I mean a person who was clearly born a male (with an adam's apple, big hands, masculine bone structure in the face) but now dresses as a female. Just a person who for whatever reason has decided to present himself/herself as a woman.

I've actually seen her around before, as she worked at the video store for a long time.

I saw partiers here and there, including a woman who was easily twice the age of her cash-flashing young beau. Or maybe she's just partied enough that she merely looks that much older. She's clearly trying to knock a few years off with bottles of blondeness and revealing clothes.

I saw a limousine fill up with regular looking, middle-aged folks who'd been in the express lane next to me.

And then there was yours truly, the weirdest one in the building.

***

The stats test went pretty well today. I'd say I scored between an 80 and a 90, which is much better than I was prepared for. And seeing that a lot of people were still working on it 30 minutes after I finished was encouraging somehow.

***

The child development material I'm frantically covering for Tuesday's test is fascinating stuff. 65 pages in and I've already had several "oh wow" moments. I wish the statistics prof would ease up on the homework so I could have proper time to keep up with the child dev stuff.

***

Speaking of "oh wow" moments, I got Anders Parker's new EP, The Wounded Astronaut. It's 25 minutes long, and I'll bet that the first time I listened to it I stopped what I was doing six times to stare dumbly at the CD player and wonder just where the heck Parker gets this stuff.

***

It's rainy and cold, and I've had sinus problems for over a week. Each night I'm knocked out with Benadryl, because if I don't take it the drainage keeps me up, makes me cough.

Note to Old Man Winter: Go away. I hate you I hate you I hate you you're not my real father.

(Obscure joke... sorry)

***

My darling wife, who has been an exercising, better-eating dynamo for months now, is no longer having to buy her clothes in the plus-size section. I'm proud of her, and you should see the look on her face now that she can wear some nice clothes by designers who don't typically make stuff in larger sizes.

***

Good night, sweet night, farewell, adieu.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have ended up in Walmart late late at night and am amazed by the number of people in there with their young kids. There is no way ever I would drag my kids there at midnight, or 10 p.m. even. Sounds like torture to me.

Can;t wait to see some Laura haircut pics. Since you guys have mentioned it, I have wondered if we can do anything with Maddie's wild shag. She looks like Rod Stewart when she gets outta bed.

Congrats to Kelli. I told her she has done a great jog; tremendous success since October! Wow.

Happy Birthday sweet Laura. Have fun at the party.