Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Fluke

Someone asked me last night, "Hey, how's Fluke doing?"

I just stared.

"You know, Fluke? Your book?"

I had a good belly laugh on the spot. I think that's what I'll start calling it now...

***

Was at the train depot a couple of summers ago, staring off into one of the little waterways that skirt the property. They're full of ducks and... nutria!

There was a little island out in the middle, and it was just covered with them, sunning themselves, lying around. I grabbed some big rocks and walked to the edge of the train platform. I hurled them as hard as I could a few times, and finally got to where I could land them within about five feet of the island. Out of the blue comes this rock, making a huge splash quite close to the napping nutria.

Their reaction?

Nothing. Didn't care in the least. I guess that's behavior typical of an animal threatened by few or no predators in its adopted ecosystem.

***

I'm thinking of posting the UFO story this weekend. The blog is certainly good as a repository for stories that aren't going anywhere anyway, right?

***

The train depot, by the way, is easily the coldest spot in Tarrant County. Elevated, kinda out near scattered buildings and trees and small bodies of water... A breeze shoots through there on a cold winter day that'd make Frosty the Snowman beg for thermal undies.

***

My sister is coming to town this weekend, and I'm excited! She and Kelli are going to see Duran Duran. Yes, my tongue hurts from all the biting.

***

Okay, I've had my coffee, avoided work for too long. Happy Tuesday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cindy and I were going to go see Duran Duran, but decided clean clothes for the family was a bit more important (yeah, we had to buy a new washer and dryer).

Bruiser

Anonymous said...

Saved by good hygeine!

Michael

Anonymous said...

It's OK Brian. You don't have to bite your tongue so much. I am a grownup now and realize Simon LeBon is not the greatest vocal talent on Earth. Just don't you dare badmouth that still-a-hottie John! And if I disappear to your study, it is because I am busy updating the latest version of my DD "fantasy" short stories....

A.