Friday, February 11, 2005

What, No Farewell Party??

I've just been given the official Belo kick in the balls. That is, I made the worst mistake possible, cost my company 10s of thousands of dollars, and it still wasn't good enough to get me fired.

Damn I'm disappointed...

***

Got a nice surprise in store for Kelli tomorrow night. Got a Valentine's date all set up. I think she'll like it.

***

Grad school stuff is coming together nicely. The two people I approached about writing letters of recommendation for me have agreed. Still trying to locate one more.

***

Danny doesn't update his bloody blog enough. C'mon bro! Here we are now... entertain us!

***

Danny won't have any idea what I'm referencing there.

***

The kids are both healthy--yahoo! I need to enjoy this while I can, because it doesn't tend to last long.

***

Yesterday THEBOY asked me if there are any bad guys near us. We were driving through the neighborhood, headed to the daycare. I started to say no, but then remembered...

I drove him by the house of an elderly man arrested not long ago for trying to seduce a 16-year-old girl near a high school. She was walking home and he tried to smooth-talk her into his car. He was quite clear about what he was interested in. She refused, and promptly brought cops down on him.

I know the guy hasn't been tried or anything, but "innocent until proven guilty" isn't a very good guideline when trying to explain to your child what street is potentially off-limits when they hit bike-riding age.

THEBOY said we should get our "fire guns" and shoot him. I told him that no, we let the police deal with the bad guys.

It felt like a coarse, possibly over-harsh thing to do. Did I over-react? Should I have glossed over the fact that a likely pedophile lives walking distance from our house? Is introducing him to something he should be wary of good parenting, or is it merely perpetuating an unnecessary fear in our fear-stricken culture? I have to stick with the former, I'm afraid.

Worrying unnecessarily is a bad thing, yes, but you know, I also believe that worrying also fosters a certain amount of preparation.

***

Screw it. I'll still accept the certificate of achievement in March. A commendation for some good work isn't negated by a screwup elsewhere.

***

I leave you with this final, thought-provoking quote:

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." Ralph Wiggum.

Have a good weekend.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been following your saga daily, and I guess I have been a bad friend because I've offered you no moral support, but YOU ROCK!! I think I'll build a small shrine to honor you...

My wife works for a company that typically (and don't take this as a jibe at you, B-Dog) rewards folks for screwing up. I told Cindy that she needs to go crap on her boss' desk while yelling she kills baby in satanic sacrifices - and she would probably become CEO of the company.

Bruiser

BB said...

Your track record of being a good friend was established a long time ago, amigo. Not hanging breathlessly on my every blog scribble doesn't change a thing. Heck, it's not like I named my son after one R. Jennings...

BB said...

And thank you. I found that accountability has served me well in my career. I never offer up an excuse I wouldn't accept. That rules out pretty much everything, and you know, it makes me a really tough target to attack.

Danny Henley said...

I'm feeling rather stupid that I can't figure out what in the heck that 'entertain us' reference is all about. I hope it's not contagious...