Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Cacophony

Broadly similar sentiments in two songs: We're done, it's time for us each to move on. You don't want me, I don't want you...

Similar song titles too... "Sail On" (by the Commodores) and "Sailin' On" (by Bad Brains).

And I love them both, actually, though they couldn't sound more different.

***

I won't be buying the Jose Canseco book. I've never liked him, and his tell-all "autobiography" (he's now written one more book than he's ever read in his life...) isn't something I think he should get some of my money for writing.

I think he's probably greatly exaggerating the truth about exactly what went on back in the day. Maybe he convinced Pudge, Raffy, Juan and Big Mac to get on the juice, maybe he didn't. But let's use our eyes:

Raffy is not built like a guy on steroids. A strong, natural physique, but he's got a little flab, isn't very well-defined. He's got what I'd consider to be an old-school, decent natural athletic build. More 70s Burt Reynolds than 80s Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Pudge is certainly an athlete with good muscular definition. I've been to spring training, and I saw the guy in shorts. But keep in mind that a common side effect of steroids is knee problems, and Pudge, a catcher, really hasn't had many. I'd guess Pudge is into supplements of other sorts, and maybe some that'll hit the MLB radar someday and be banned. I don't see him as a steroid user per se though.

Juan is another Canseco, albeit a better overall hitter when healthy. Tremendous definition, and a much bigger guy than when he first broke into the show. I can only speculate, and I'll have to admit that I'm more inclined to think he's done this simply because I don't like the guy. He's injured a heck of a lot, and that's certainly the sign of a 'roid user.

McGwire is probably getting by on semantics at this point. Everyone knows he used androstenedione, which is banned in some other sports. Not quite a steroid or a growth hormone or whatever, but potent enough to raise eyebrows in MLB. He retired when his knees got too bad for him to be a productive hitter, if you recall.

For each of those guys, was Canseco really a factor? Highly dubious. He's giving himself too much credit. If they dabbled in 'roids, or even continued to use them, they made that call on their own I'd say.

***

And there's Launch, playing a live version of Alejandro Escovedo's "Pale Blue Eyes" (the Velvet Underground tune). Good Launch... c'mere, boy, let me scratch you behind the ears. Have a Scooby snack.

***

I worked for a while with a guy who played guitar in the Al Escovedo Orchestra. We were talking about the noisy cacaphony that Al embraced along with the beauty. And he said that he thought Al included it simply because he didn't understand it.

Ah, Rick. Such talent in your hands, and a strangely chiseled face... but not much going on between yer ears, son.

***

Pitchers and catchers report TOMORROW!

Pedro Martinez showed up for spring training 10 days early. Now, was anyone there? Or did he have to hop the fence and beg neighborhood kids to play long-toss with him?

***

It's a rambling day... maybe more later. Maybe not.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Broadly similar sentiments in two songs: We're done, it's time for us each to move on. You don't want me, I don't want you...

Similar song titles too... "Sail On" (by the Commodores) and "Sailin' On" (by Bad Brains).

And I love them both, actually, though they couldn't sound more different.

***I've recently come to appreciate "Sail On" as the great song it is, thanks to my friend Greg Beets' cover with his band Summer Breeze. It was the prototype for Lionel Richie's ballad approach, and he's never come close to matching it. Maybe because nothing he's done since has had the deceptively nasty edge of "Sail On."


I worked for a while with a guy who played guitar in the Al Escovedo Orchestra. We were talking about the noisy cacaphony that Al embraced along with the beauty. And he said that he thought Al included it simply because he didn't understand it.

Ah, Rick. Such talent in your hands, and a strangely chiseled face... but not much going on between yer ears, son.

***He didn't really...no, I believe he really would. Jesus. Besides his misperception of Al's understanding of HIS OWN MUSIC, Rick's statement doesn't even follow any logic. "He includes it because he doesn't understand it." Um...what? If he didn't understand it, wouldn't he NOT include it?

***I swear, sometimes I think Rick was an opium addict in a former life.

Michael

Danny Henley said...

Roids... It's the talk of the game these days, isn't it.

Good point on Raffy's physique not supporting a steroid claim, but it wouldn't surprise me at this point if someone said Nolan Ryan was on the juice. Major League baseball sold it's collective soul to the devil in the 90s by turning a blind eye to rampant use.

I'd be willing to bet some cold, hard cash that every single player who hit over 50 home runs in the last 15 years was on the juice for at least some protion of the year they did it. If anyone can produce an example to convince me otherwise, I'd love to hear that care made.

Pudge: quite possibly yes. Juan: yes. McGuire: Absolutely no doubt in my mind whatsoever.

Bonds: yes. Sosa: yes. Pujols: yes. Caminiti: yes. Frank Thomas: yes. Fielder: yes. Brady: yes. Henderson: yes.

And so many, many more...

BB said...

Wait... Cecil Fielder? Dude, 'roids give you MUSCLES, not fat. That guy's so tubby he makes the Michelin Man look like Calista Flockhart...