Friday, February 18, 2005

Spreads His Wings

Was driving along this morning, having somehow successfully gotten both kids ready for school alone, and I was quite pleased with myself. Drinking an iced coffee and jamming a scone in my mouth certainly helped. And I was punching buttons on the radio when I thought, MAN I could use some Black Sabbath this morning.

BOOM, 30 seconds later some classic rock station rolled "War Pigs." I was ecstatic. And now my ears are ringing.

***

Is there any line in any song more chilling than "Satan, laughing, spreads his wings"?

***

THEBOY in the van this morning: "Dad, do you know what eagles can do when they spread their wings?"

Me: "What's that?"

Kevin: "Gliiiiiide."

***

THEBOY'S Aunt Amanda is coming in tonight, landing at Love Field. THEBOY has already tried to swing an angle to get an airplane ride out of this somehow. I had to explain to him that Amanda is the only one getting to fly.

But he will someday. With the warm weather coming (and I say that as sort of positive reinforcement for the cosmic weather planners, because it currently seems like this winter will NEVER FREAKING END), I need to haul him out to the airport viewing platform again.

***

Devotchka... now THIS is exciting. Yes, I've already ordered my copy...

***

I've had flying dreams for as long as I can remember. In the earliest versions I'd get way up in the sky and suddenly fall to earth. My mother once told me she came into my room and saw my body bouncing on the bed in my sleep, as if I'd just fallen from some great height.

I still have the dreams, but not as frequently, sorry to say. Each time, though, there's the thought that this ISN'T dream, and I really can fly! I catch the breeze just right, spread my arms and I'm off... Usually not too high. Just enough to clear whatever's in my way. I don't fall anymore, but I do wake up quite disappointed since, again, it was just a dream.

***

Happy Friday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The whole time I was reading this entry, I had Iron Maiden's "Flight of Icarus" running through my head. I'm glad I didn't start humming the guitar riff like Beavis and Butthead - my students would've thought I'd lost what's left of my brain.

Bruiser