Friday, January 20, 2006

I mean… BLECH and all

Friday Friday… aaaaah.

Okay, it ain’t all that great. My stomach’s been in knots off and on since Monday. Monday! Did I just shake everything up too much in the race? I’m tired of it. Today I’m just going to eat like normal. Babying my stomach does no good, so I might as well enjoy myself.

It ain’t that bad. Just annoying.

***

Heh heh… so Osama bin Laden has mentioned he’d be willing to discuss a truce with the U.S.

My dramatic interpretation of how that might play out:

Important U.S. Guy in Dark Sunglasses: “Suuuuure. We’re willing to talk. Just come a little closer, Osama. Yeah, that’s it. Right out here. Step away from under that awning, out here closer to the curb and we’ll do a whole bunch of negotiating.”

BOOM!

Important U.S. Guy in Dark Sunglasses (into radio): “Hey, we’re gonna need a mop and a bucket out here.”

***

Class was good last night, despite the fact that I kept thinking I might have to run from the room while clutching my guts.

***

In fact, I got to stare needlessly at the professor’s crotch for a while during the lecture.

“But BB… why?” you may ask.

See, we had our mid-class break. As I returned, one of the ladies in class took me aside. “Dr. C’s fly is undone, and we think a guy should be the one to tell him.”

Ah, fine. I figured I could do that.

So I walked in and had a look.

It looked fine to me. I mean… BLECH and all, but really, his fly appeared to be zipped.

I turned around, and the ladies were mouthing things to me. Now, I’m terrible at deciphering what people say when they mouth things to me. But they seemed to be saying something like, “Just go up there anyway—it’s really unzipped.”

And just like I had an entrance interview to get into this program, I could suddenly see myself in an exit interview, explaining for the umpteenth time just why I’d interrupted a lecture to talk to my professor about his nether regions.

I stared. And I stared some more. Then came the telling moment: He eased back and sat on a desk, propping a foot up on a chair. If he was having a wardrobe malfunction, well, this was the time during which it was mostly likely to be evident.

It wasn’t.

I was saved.

***

Later, as he futzed with a video, one of the ladies told me, “It WAS unzipped. He must’ve fixed it.”

***

You know, I was looking at my timing splits from the race last weekend. As late as nine miles in I was on a good pace, doing better than 10 minutes a mile. I was, in fact, on pace to finish at roughly 2:05:00, which would have been a really good time. But I faded quite badly at the end. I’ll chalk that up to having burned so much energy early on, as well as just being a little under-prepared due to my calf injury. I hadn’t run in two weeks when race day rolled around.

***

Got my eye on another race now…

Happy Friday, ya’ll.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

puh-leez. they don't want to catch osama. they found saddam in a hole in the ground, and you're telling me they can't find osama roaming around with a cellphone, camera crew, lighting and audio people? the could find him if they wanted to.