Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Pugwash Checks In

Ah... nothing like getting an email from your newest musical idol out of the blue. I'd tried to hit Jason Falkner's site today, but apparently it's gone. So I went to a fansite, and among the folks bemoaning the loss was one named Thomas Walsh.

I posted a quick note asking if he was THE Thomas Walsh, the main man behind my current favorite album, Jollity by Pugwash (http://www.pugwashtheband.com/). I mentioned how much I'm enjoying it, then surfed elsewhere, thinking nothing more of it.

Tonight--boom! There was this message for me:


Hi Brian.....Hope you're well my friend? Yes, I am "THE"
Thomas Walsh.....!! I've never been called "THE" before
but I like it.

I'm very chuffed that "Jollity" is causing you to go "Mental".
That's a first too but thanks. I must admit that my American
fans are really kind and really into The Pugs.....! Thank you
for buying it Brian and parting with your hard earned cash.

How did you hear of my music? Did you know that Jason
Falkner played and sang on my second album "Almanac"?
Keep in touch Brian and keep loving what I do, it means
the world mate - Thank You.....!!

TW.x

***

So there you go. It's a terrific album for any fan of smart pop. If you dig XTC, Jason Falkner, Jellyfish, Fab Four... Like Jason Falkner's Can You Still Feel?, it's an album that will maintain a spot among your favorites.

Availabe at NotLame (http://www.notlame.com) last time I checked.

***

Are you paying attention, Bruiser?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! That was pretty cool of him to write. Melissa Auf Der Maur, the most babalicious bass player on God's green earth, just sends me threatening letters from her lawyer.

I was checking out Not Lame's site the other night and had to walk away from the computer - too much good stuff on there. I've come to the realization that as much as I love punk, metal, reggae, alt-country, etc., nothing pricks my ears as much as a good power pop song.

I'm gonna check these guys out soon...

Bruiser

BB said...

Heeey... she IS easy on the eyes. God I love an imperfect beauty... that's not a snide remark. I just love someone who looks unique yet beautiful. I sure get tired of cookie cutter blondes, man.

I've raved enough about Pugwash. But like I always said about Van Morrison, if he ever comes within 300 miles of here I'll be at the show.

And I got my wish with Morrison, so one never knows.

Anonymous said...

You can never rave enough about Pugwash.

That was nice of Walsh to write...I bet he really appreciated the plug in America.

And it's always great to unexpectedly get a note from someone you admire...I was thrilled to pieces when the late Bryan Harvey e-mailed me out of the blue to tell me he liked what I wrote about the House of Freaks reissues.

And Bruiser, yes, you need to hear Pugwash. You'll love 'em.

Michael