Monday, January 02, 2006

BB Am Home

Hey, word has it Starbucks is about to start carrying Kopi Luwak (http://www.sallys-place.com/beverages/coffee/kopi_luwak.htm), the Indonesian coffee that, as part of its processing, is eaten and then excreted by some local critter.

I don't foresee trying any, though that's mostly because it's about $75 per quarter pound. No, Gold Coast will do me just fine.

***

We are home. The drive is fairly grueling no matter how you approach it. The kids did quite well during the drive and the weekend visit in general. Kelli was sick much of Saturday though, knocked back by a bad headache she attributes to the drive and fast food we ate en route. A huge dose of ibuprofen and a power nap got her back on her feet, but she's resolved to fly to Houston on future trips. Fine.

***

We did indeed end up staying with Dad and Charlene last night. Saved us a cool $100 on a hotel, and the accommodations were much better. We all got a better night's sleep.

***

Forgot to mention what happened to Kelli on the drive down: She was in the front passenger seat, reclining with her feet up on the dashboard. Some guy in an 18-wheeler drove past and lowered his sunglasses to give her "the eyebrows" with a smile. Guess he liked what he saw.

Kelli got the eyebrows!

***

Those kids really were quite good all weekend. Not too much toddler insanity from THEGIRL. THEBOY was grouchy enough at 8pm last night that we had a quick "come to Jesus" meeting there in Dad's kitchen. I'm told that he was asleep about 30 seconds after he hit the sheets.

But THEGIRL was sweet, making herself right at home. THEBOY was polite and quick to start a conversation or say/do some cool five-year-old thing.

***

I did get to run five miles yesterday. Stamina was decent, not great. I feel a bit beat up, and that's about as much as I'm going to say about that.

***

For some reason Kelli's got it in her head that for the race, I might finish it by walking. I won't.

I've been told that if I hit a drink station, it IS best to walk the few steps it takes to gulp something down (just in the interest of not drowning myself). But no, I won't be doing this so I can stop 5-8 miles in and decide the rest of the half-marathon would be better as a casual stroll. This is a measure of who I am and what I'm capable of. Like I told Whit, I want us each to finish and look at the other guy and think, That's one tough sumbitch over there.

Fair enough?

***

The kids played very well with their cousins, let me tell you. Watching THEBOY and Aaron zipping around the yard in the electric Jeep gizmo was a hoot. THEGIRL and Maddie didn't interact much from what I could tell, but they're a bit young for that anyway.

So, to summarize:

Seeing Dad, who looked good, was... good!

The kids were... good!

Seeing the Haishes was... good! (Thanks again for breakfast)

I do believe that all adds up to a good trip!

***

Ya'll be... uh... good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're welcome. We enjoyed having you!

A.

Anonymous said...

hey, i just wrote about that ass coffee monday night....i don't think i believe starbucks would carry it. but the critter is really cute!

http://www.smackage.com/2006/01/02/rich-people-buy-coffee-from-creatures-ass/