Friday, December 30, 2005

From Lake Jackson

We're here, the four of us. THEGIRL's not that sick and Kelli's better, so we all descended upon my old stompin' grounds.

***

Trip down... you know, for as long as it was, and as often as we had to stop, and the occasional headaches we had... it just didn't bother me much.

Some passing moments from the day:

THEGIRL holding court in Dairy Queen, fiercely defending her ice cream each time we offered to help her with it. TWO different folks asked us if she's two.

THEBOY needing to pee miles from any bathroom. Fine fine. We pulled off the freeway, onto a gravel parking lot of some sort, and I angled the van so he could have some privacy. He announced that he didn't WANT to go on THAT side of the van. "FINE, you go ahead and pee over there and show your penis to everyone passing by on that freeway, you hardheaded kid!" He changed his tune immediately.

Kelli, in the van, laughing hysterically at the above exchange.

Kelli, as I shooed a bee from the van, telling me it was "right there" as I nearly doubled over backwards while the angry little @#$% buzzed in my face. "I KNOW!"

THEKIDS, running around like monkeys in the hotel room as Kelli and I lay there, desperate for sleep. Kids 1, Parents 0.

The hotel manager telling me he'd make a point of not putting anyone in the room beneath ours.

THEGIRL immediately blowing kisses at Papa Briscoe.

And a good meal we had there with Papa and Mimi! Nice. Ham, yams, green beans, desserts... great stuff.

Papa himself, looking far better than when I last saw him. I think he's pretty determined to have us stay with HIM tomorrow night. After some time with THEGIRL he said, "That kid ain't sick" and started formulating a plan for us to stay there tomorrow. Not sure if we will. Depends on how tonight goes I guess.

Papa again, showing me a little acoustic guitar he bought! Neck is straight, fretwork is okay, tone's not bad. Action is just a little high, but it's very playable.

The circus that was trying to get those kids to sleep in the same bed tonight. We barked at them over and over until I went and just lay between them. THEBOY squirmed behind me, fearful I'd break wind like I'd threatened (I was KIDDING about that part when I said it), and THEGIRL watched me, kissing me sometimes as she slowly... faded... to... sleep.

And not only was it miraculous for her to finally BE asleep, but you know... watching sleep overtake her was glorious somehow.

And now I shall let it overtake me. Good night, sweet night.

No comments: