Friday, December 16, 2005

where my optimism peaks

Friday Friday…

***

Again, I am woefully uninspired at work.

***

Spoke to Dad last night, and he sounded pretty good. He’s eating well! It was a really nice chat, I’ve gotta say. As eager as I’ve been to check on him, reports are that his sleep schedule’s messed up, and now I’m afraid I’ll wake him when I call. Got lucky yesterday though.

***

We’re thinking pretty seriously about taking a trip to Angleton over New Year’s, in fact.

***

Very cold this morning. It felt like a European cold, if that makes any sense. Had a certain biting chill that took a while to shake off.

***

You know, the place I grew up doesn’t have what a lot of folks would consider to be seriously cold winters. But you know, humid as it is, it can be harsh, it really can. You take a day in the 40s with a bunch of moisture in the air, and it’ll get to you.

***

We’re watching the 2nd season of The Office (the BBC version). Kelli’s read that this season, which we gather is the final one, is all about the downfall of David Brent.

Oh, this is gonna be sweet.

***

And I’m sorry, but I see an AWFUL lot of a not-so-far-removed boss of mine in Brent. Hoo yeah. A quote, best as I remember it: “You see, I like to build camaraderie with ‘humor’…”

That's from the real boss, not from the show.

There’s a physical resemblance too, heh heh.

***

So… I’m NOT one who ever holds much hope that we’ll sign big name free agent pitchers here. I’m quite used to the headlines in the paper telling us “(Insert prominent name here) Spurns Texas for Dodgers” or whatever. This morning it was Braden Looper, in fact. I didn't even bother to read where he DID sign.

But… Roger Clemens was at some award ceremony in Ft. Worth last night. The MC announced him as “the newest Texas Ranger” or somesuch.

Clemens is going to attend the Rose Bowl with fellow UT alumnus Tom Hicks on January 4 (do I have the date right?). And Clemens did say that he and Hicks would have some “interesting” things to talk about on that day.

I don’t know that I’ll ever LIKE Clemens.

But I’d certainly be glad to have him on our team.

And that’s about where my optimism peaks on THAT matter.

***

Something’s brewing with this other career path towards which I’ve been slowly steering for a while. Could be some phone calls today.

***

Get to work.

(I’m talking to myself. You can goof off all day. Tell ‘em BB said it’s okay.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, Clemens. Teasing us again. Who will he spurn us for THIS time? LA? NY? Boston?