Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Psych Misc

Some changes are forthcoming to the blog. From the average reader’s standpoint, it probably won’t make much difference. Still mulling exactly what I need to do. There is a chance that everything prior to 12/31/05 will go away forever.

The blog is not ending though. I’m just saying that if you’re dying to go back to, say, July of ’05 to have a chuckle about things like what I had for lunch, or how much coffee I had in one day… you’d better do it in the next couple weeks.

***

I’m eagerly awaiting my grades, of course. I don’t even know when they’re due. Seeing as how the semester ended so screwily (what with the freeze and all), we weren’t told when the grades will be in.

I was conditionally accepted into the program. For folks without psych undergrad degrees, they do that. I have to earn no worse than a B in these classes to continue.

I’m not awfully worried. Okay, a little, seeing as how I’m ME and all. But I had only one grade in either class lower than a B all semester, a 79 I got on my first paper. Unless I just catastrophically tanked on my finals, I’m guessing I’ll have a B in each class.

I’d like to swing an A in there somewhere though. 

***

I like this program, I like the folks in it. I’ve become buddies with some sharp people, and I’m thankful for that. One of them said recently she’d taken a good look around at the 28 new people in the program, and she figured eight would actually end up being counselors someday.

***

I agree.

***

It was nice, if a bit puzzling, to find myself as sort of a go-to guy when finals came around. People who hadn’t spoken to me all semester suddenly solicited my input, and that was flattering.

***

I’ve learned a lot about this field, of course, and I must say that at the moment I’m not inclined to pursue a doctorate. For psychologists, I gather doctoral work is largely research-focused, and I’m simply not interested in that. I want to roll up my sleeves and get down to the business of working.

I’m almost certain my education will continue for the rest of my life though. I mean, there’s the matter of continuing education as part of being a counselor. But I hope to become certified as a SAP (and before you say, “You’re ALREADY a sap, BB,” let me just clarify that as “Substance Abuse Professional”) and an LCDC (licensed chemical dependency counselor).

I left a really good LCDC program at a JuCo to pursue my master’s. I hope to get a chance to return. I still refer to texts, papers and notes from my time there pretty regularly.

***

Have a good afternoon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I forgot to say Happy Birthday for the boy. Sorry about that. Sounds like he had a good one.

Michael