Monday, December 26, 2005

"WHERE IS DARTH VADER? TELL ME!"

Just a few notes before bedtime. I don't feel like hitting the sheets, but I'll regret staying up late in the morning if I don't go soon.

***

I finally ran tonight, 15 days after the last time. I could feel that sore spot in my calf, but it loosened up a bit over a couple miles. Really, tomorrow will tell a lot about what sort of shape it's in. It doesn't feel bad now, but it doesn't feel perfect.

Nice night for a run at least. There's something about jogging at night, man. I was at the high school track. Jogging north it's just pitch black. Jogging south you're headed towards the lights of the car dealerships, which are blinding. The stripes on the track literally look like the just fade into infinity.

***

You know, as far as I can tell, I don't get runner's high.

FIGURES.

I mean... I've gone six-eight miles and get nothing. Is it supposed to come later? I do hit a good rhythm and all, and certainly during a good run the effort isn't awfully taxing. But nothing that feels like an endorphin rush occurs.

***

We have now seen all of the BBC version of The Office. We've rented both seasons, and last night we wrapped up with pair of specials.

I've gotta say, it's a brilliant little show. The first season I must have kept my finger on the stop button the whole time. It was too awkward, too accurate in some ways. But the big belly laughs kept me from bailing out.

Kelli was quicker to develop sympathy for David Brent than I. The second season was basically a chronicle of his downfall, and I was ready to watch him squirm. They taught us in lit classes that character flaws cause tragedy, right? Brent's almost nothing but character flaws.

In the specials, though, everything gets... you know, I don't want to say wrapped up. It's not as neat and tidy as that sounds. But it certainly ends on a less enigmatic note than it could have. And I was ready to wish some good fortune on Brent, oddly enough.

And in the interest of avoiding spoilers, I'll bow out now.

***

You know, THEBOY puts on quite a show when he plays his Star Wars video game. There's one with Yoda fighting a bunch of storm troopers. THEBOY stands up and hops around, spitting out the toughest-sounding stuff his five-year-old mind can muster:

"WHERE IS DARTH VADER? TELL ME!"

"It's time to get this party STARTED!"

And my favorite:

"I got you in the penis!"

***

Laughing...

Good night.

1 comment:

Danny Henley said...

Runner's high will hit you once you are regularly running 10 miles or more in a given outing. At that point, your body has no problem whatsoever with the shorter distances, so you get "the high" after warming up at bit. Right now, I think you are still working your body too hard to enjoy the rush.