Wednesday, December 14, 2005

The Woodsman

I just watched this movie, starring Kevin Bacon.

Man, I don't know--really--whether anyone gets truly excited at the prospect of a Kevin Bacon movie. But you know, the guy has strung together quite an impressive resume. Heck, you know you still get sucked into watching Tremors when it's on TNT, right? Best dang man-eating-subterranean-giant-space-worm movie you're likely to ever see.

***

In the Woodsman he portrays a child molester, released from prison after 12 years.

It ain't exactly light viewing.

He's shunned by his family, ostracized by his coworkers, harassed by the police and still gripped by his compulsion.

This is one powerful piece of filmmaking.

Why wasn't this up for Oscars and such?

***

It's a fine line I walk with this stuff. Like my father, I can't stand to see something that purports to be entertainment that shows a child suffering.

I wondered if I'd have to cut this one off. It didn't happen.

But I don't think I breathed during 15 of the last 20 minutes.

This one... whoa.

Recommended.

No comments: