Thursday, December 22, 2005

Jollity

Man, the holidays are rough in my business. Everything's doubled up to accommodate the days off, and advertisers make all sorts of screwy demands and changes.

Have you seen any ads for this movie The Ringer? It's about a guy who pretends to be retarded so he can win big at the Special Olympics or something. It's one of my accounts.

Man, you'd think this thing was up for an Oscar or something. They have revised, and revised, and then revised the revised revisions. It's nuts. And really, the spots make me want to kick someone in the giblets. I'm working really hard to push something extremely tacky on people.

I'm in the wrong business.

***

It's been a real bonanza of good music lately though. Those Austin City Limits DVDs are quite good, and now I've got more stuff from Michael as well as something I ordered from NotLame.

So... quick rundown:

Unida--Got a couple of CDs by this former band of ex-Kyuss/current Hermano vocalist John Garcia (got all that? Hope so, because I don't feel like rewriting it). Damn, these guys were really good.

Blind Arvella Gray--I haven't read the bio stuff yet, but I gather he was a Chicago street musician. It's just voice and dobro, and I imagine these recordings are 20 to 30 years old. A very pleasant discovery. I'm glad to have this one.

Pugwash--Jollity. Ah, you smart pop fans need to hear this. Lush Beatles/XTC-inspired stuff. And they're... Scots? Jeez, I once knew, but my brain is full at the moment. This is gorgeous stuff.

Unfortunately, Bongzilla is a better band name than a band. Eh... didn't do much for me.

***

Message to Kelli: Begonias and horse manure, my dear.

***

Kelli got sorta rear-ended tonight. Not bad, and not her fault. But there's a small dent near the back bumper, and we're certainly going to look into getting this fixed.

***

My nephew is in Tae Kwon Do, and he got a stripe on his belt today! I hope my son will get wind of this and be inspired.

***

I have twice now dreamed I'm Spider-man. Yep. Last night I was going to "get" some kid named Billy. He was, oh, about eight years old, had red hair. I guess all the regular Spider-man villains were currently imprisoned.

***

I'm obsessing over this Kevin Millwood courtship. I think he could be the best pitcher we've had here since Nolan Ryan.

***

I set up in the garage tonight to peel and de-vein shrimp while listening to Pugwash, in fact. I think it's the most therapeutic thing I've done in quite some time.

***

I keep checking my grades, like one of my profs will come to his senses: "Whoa, I didn't mean to give that yutz Briscoe an A..."

***

The calf... it's much better. Not perfect. I may try to run on Christmas Day, maybe Monday. It's been nearly two weeks since I last ran. This is NOT the state I wanted to be in this close to the race. Ugh.

***

Need sleep. If I don't get to post prior to the holiday, you all be good, be safe, and have a terrific one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I forgot to congratulate you on your grades! I knew you would do great. Enjoy your time off.

Sis

Anonymous said...

It's about a guy who pretends to be retarded so he can win big at the Special Olympics or something.

I'm afraid that South Park's Cartman already beat 'em to it.

Georgina