Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Be POLITE

Fat Possum, by the way, is a blues label. Best one in the country, in fact.

***

The final High Bias of the year is up. I've contributed a review of a fistful of fine Austin City Limits DVDs.

This is a labor of love on Toland's part, by the way. No idea how he keeps it up.

Send him money and nekkid ladies for Christmas.

***

St. Louis newspapers are reporting that the Cardinals have agreed to terms on a one-year deal with Sidney Ponson.

I’m quite relieved; the Rangers were very clear about their interest in him. I’d just like to go on record as saying that when the team’s owner tells the media a pitcher just finished 30 days of rehab, and that there’s plenty of time for said pitcher to do his jail time before spring training, this doesn’t bode well.

***

I won’t lie and say I really know what to think of the Rangers big trade yesterday. I do find it odd that, though this is supposedly a pitching upgrade, we needed to ADD to the rotation quantitatively, not just qualitatively. That is, one of the guys we were supposed to use next season has effectively been swapped for another.

Maybe we’ll get our #1 guy in Kevin Millwood, who visited (he actually came and visited!) recently. I don’t know why, but of all the free agent big names we’ve pursued, Millwood strikes me as a guy who might actually pitch here.

***

Okay, I’m done with people who think they’re above small talk. I’m not saying you owe anyone a debt of meaningless drivel. But you can be POLITE.

I’ve got one guy in mind currently. I almost typed “nice enough,” but heck, I guess he’s NOT.

Two recent examples:

At the holiday party, I made a point to stop him, shake his hand, and tell him what a great, timelessly classy look he sported with the suit and the vest. And he JUST LOOKED AT ME. Not a word. He kinda looked puzzled, in fact. I said, “Hey (insert name of putz here), it’s a compliment. Relax.”

This morning, the guy comes TO MY CUBE and stands there for a sec. I say, “Morning, (insert name of putz here).”

And he says, “Yes it is” and walks off.

Scratching him off the Christmas list.

***

Adding him to the wedgie list.

***

The van is fixed. It took way longer than necessary, and like everything I try to fix, I did it the wrongest, hardest way three times before figuring it out.

Yes, I know I said “wrongest.” And I’m sticking with it.

***

THEBOY saw my Secret Santa gift beside my backpack this morning. He picked it up and asked what it is. I explained that it’s a gift for a friend of mine.

He held it quietly for a moment, then asked, “Can I come?”

Sweet kid.

***

I told him no, that he’d be at school when I gave it to her. I explained that it’s a cookbook.

He asked, “Your friend doesn’t know how to cook?”

***

I love this stuff.

***

Happy Wednesday.

2 comments:

Geoff said...

I'm tryinging to like the Eaton trade... the only reason I don't like it is that Chris Young feels like 'our guy' being form Highland Park and all... kind of odd because I hate Highland Park people...

What do you think of the Yanks picking up Damon?

Anonymous said...

The final High Bias of the year is up. I've contributed a review of a fistful of fine Austin City Limits DVDs.

***And an excellent piece it is, too.

This is a labor of love on Toland's part, by the way. No idea how he keeps it up.

**It's either overwhelming passion or all-consuming stupidity. Still not sure which.

Send him money and nekkid ladies for Christmas.

***More nekkid ladies than money. No, wait, maybe that should be the money. Ah, heck, I'll take large quantities of both.

***The thing with Kevin reminds me of something. I've noticed watching Maria's kids that, as excited as children are about getting lots of stuff for Christmas, they get equally excited about giving presents to the ones they love. That gives me a warm feeling in my tummy on Xmas. After 12 years of retail hell seeing the holidays bring out the worst in adults, it's the only thing that makes Christmas worth a damn anymore.

***I bet Kevin will be just as jazzed to see his little sister open whatever present he's giving her as he will be to dig in to his own loot.

Michael