Friday, March 04, 2005

I Got them Flying Amphibious Swamp Creature and Caffeinated Love Blues

First, good luck to Michael Toland this morning.

***

Caffeinated love was in the air today at Starbucks. I walked in to find a guy talking to a barista at the counter. She was tall, pretty, outgoing. Not a woman who has ever been accused of being petite, but a handsome gal. And here's what I heard of the conversation:

Barista: "Hey, don't worry. Be patient. You'll find someone."

Guy: "Ah thanks... it's just... (mumble mumble...)"

Barista: "It's been four years for me. I haven't been in a hurry, but you know, now I'm ready. I'm ready."

(Barista reaches across the counter and squeezes the guy on the shoulder as he stares at his shoes)

Barista: "Really. You'll find someone."

The dingus didn't get the hint. She was all but begging him to ask her out. Even I would have picked up on that back in my single days.

***

THEBOY put on his raincoat and hat today since it was yet another wet, gross day. He walked into class and some kid blurted out, "Hey, are you a FIREMAN?"

Admittedly, he looked a bit like the Gorton Fish Sticks fisherman. But he was not pleased at the fireman bit.

"No, I'm [THEBOY]."

"But you look like a fireman."

"I'M [THEBOY]."

Apparently my son does not tolerate fools gladly. Wonder where he got that?

***

Had a doozy of a dream last night, a real doozy. I was riding in the back of a '77 Caddy being driven by JT, the older neighbor boy from back in Angleton. We were near Lake Jackson somewhere, just cruising along. It was fine and all, but I felt out of place. I called Hood on the cell phone to ask why the heck we weren't at spring training yet.

But as I looked out the window, I saw something moving in one of the little bayous/waterways beside the highway. It jumped out of the water, arcing high into the air, and I saw what it was: a monster.

Yes, it was your basic flying, amphibious swamp creature from Brazoria County. I hear they're good eatin'.

It looked like a combination of the Creature from the Black Lagoon and a sleestack from Land of the Lost.

Anyway, I hung up on Hood and started making a commotion to JT. Next thing you know, the swamp creature became aware of us and flew over to the car, landing on the roof. It was tearing away at the fabric, scaring the bejeebers outta me, and JT drove the Caddy into the bayou to try and get away.

Somehow I got out of the car, to the bank, and up the road to the Brazos Mall. The creature was close behind, however, and soon there was panic in the mall as he ran through. I ducked into the men's room, and luckily for me, the creature ducked into the ladies' room instead (they're good eatin', but not too bright). There, mall security descended upon him. Not to say that I was convinced he was likely to have any trouble with mall cops (he was more likely to have a snack). But it bought me time to finally get away.

***

Toland says he never remembers his nightmares. Ah, I'll bet you don't know what you're missing, son...

***

I was driving in today, nicely caffeinated from my Friday Starbucks run. The soundtrack to Big Bad Love was playing, and I was happy.

You know, the blues is still alive, still has a pulse. There's a gaggle of gee-tarists out there trying to bludgeon it to death with their instruments though. Paul Reddick, a Canadian, does the blues right. Gives a guy like me hope.

***

JT was... nice. He meant well, but he wasn't exactly an intellectual giant. Smoked a lot of cigarettes, a lot of anything he could light. Struggled mightily in high school, and God he wanted to quit when he was a senior. So close to being out of school, but getting drunk and high a lot, not getting along with his teachers or family...

I bugged him to bear down for this last stretch, to try really hard and pull out the grades that'd get him a diploma. I helped him with his homework a little, but mostly just wouldn't let it rest. I nagged him to do the work, to make graduating a priority.

And you know, he did. No idea where he is now. I'm guessing he's not teaching at Harvard. But he did graduate high school, and I take some pride in having been... a factor.

***

An interview with Kevin Murphy of Mystery Science Theater 3000 fame.

***

Caffeinated love to you all today. Keep your eyes open, will ya?

No comments: