Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Um...

Ah... you'll love this one.

***

We're taking these classes for our traffic software. I think everyone in the company is required to take them.

Took a class a few days back for something I never do, never will do, and might not even be allowed access to. But hell, it's the policy that we all take all the classes...

The presenter was awful, and it became quickly apparent that he was nervous. So, since taking notes would be useless, I counted how many times he said "Um."

In 37 minutes he said it 251 times. WOW.

We were urged to fill out an "anonymous" survey about each class afterwards (so now you see where this is going).

The interface for the survey was clunky. I typed my displeasure at taking a class not at all useful to me and clicked "NEXT," wondering what else they wanted.

Well, that took me to a survey for another class. No "SUBMIT" button, nothing. Clicking next submitted my data.

So my submission of the scathing remarks was only semi-intentional. I wasn't sure about it, thought about changing them, thought about keeping them...

Today in a meeting, my boss quoted my remarks--including the incorrect number of 245 Ums--and said the department head was upset and looked up who submitted that survey. I guess my boss didn't know it was ME.

SO, the anonymous survey wasn't anonymous at all. I warned a couple friends, and sure enough, one had heard about the Ums prank. AND the dept head had walked past her cube quoting HER OWN NEGATIVE SURVEY COMMENTS yesterday, and she'd wondered if it was a coincidence.

Kelli's all kinds of pissed off. I've filled out another survey basically saying, "AHA! These aren't anonymous after all!" and am sort of sitting here daring anyone to say something.

Even if they don't, there's the potential for this to affect any future raise or promotion in an unspoken way.

Hmm... dang, do I need a lawyer?

Yes, it was petty of me to count the Ums. Fine. I wasn't set on actually submitting that bit as my comment anyway.

Other people I'm warning are sharing their own negative comments with me, and guess what? My comment clearly wasn't the worst, yet was apparently the only one looked up by the dept. head... ever feel like you're being singled out?

Kelli's ready for me to quit and yank the kids out of school to stay home with me. Not sure I'm feeling that radical. I'm more... well, sort of fiendishly amused than anything. Curious to see how this'll play out.

***

"Fidel Castro is reportedly upset that Forbes magazine listed him among the world's wealthiest dictators, with a net worth of $550 million. Castro says the listing is bogus, because in a communist country the Cuban people actually own everything, and he is simply watching over things while they're all in prison" - DENNIS MILLER on his CNBC show

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Let this be a lesson to us all, even if it's one that I think we all know but have chosen not to acknowledge. Yes, your company keeps tabs on your every comment, e-mail, websurf, etc. That's what that IT guy is for. You didn't really think he spends his whole day fixing office computers, did you?

Michael