Friday, March 11, 2005

Lo, and Though the Klingonites Slew the Epithenes...

What I'm NOT doing:

Drinking iced coffee
Watching a great UFC video
Relaxing
Staying up 'til 1:30 am doing absolutely nothing
Tinkering with the DVD recorder.

Why? HOMEWORK.

***

I gave up. For the first time in my collegiate career, I'd reached an impasse on an assignment. Yes, I'm talking about stats, again.

I mean, I've dropped classes and all before, and yeah, they were mostly math related. But last night, for a class I fully intend to get through, sink or swim, I could not do my homework. Boom. Didn't get it, couldn't figure it out, nothing.

I resigned myself to flunking the assignment and hoped we'd cover some stuff I'd understand better in the future.

***

There is a math lab on campus, and yeah, I could go get myself a tutor. But my only free time was now, Friday evening, and the lab is closed.

***

It was only weighing on me a little this morning at work. There's a certain freedom in having no choice, even if the scenario isn't so grand.

I mentioned my struggles to my buddy Erik as we got coffee. Nadine, the new person (and a welcome addition to the coffee crew), asked what the class was, and I told her.

"Oh, I used to tutor statistics," she said.

***

Flash forward to 6pm today when I'm at her desk with my graphing calculator and textbook, frantically taking notes as she clarifies a few things.

***

Now, my assignment still isn't going to get a good grade, but I think I'll pass. Our shift ended at 6:30pm, and there was only so much we could go over right then.

But I told her if she could help me with my assignments, I'd be good for some free lunches.

***

So boom, I needed a tutor and got one. She's even available on my lunch breaks, so I won't burn my evenings in the math lab with some guy named Bruce who has never known the touch of a woman.

***

So the clouds parted, and an angel named Nadine descended, my diminutive savior.

***

Got my new Motorhead and Ramones t-shirts. Good deals on those! I gave the Who sticker to Kevin, who put it on his toy box.

***

Sleep well everyone, anyone.

No comments: