Monday, June 26, 2006

Amped

Good afternoon, good afternoon.

It's been a fine day here I suppose, save for the couple hours we spent at a financial advisor's office, doing responsible grownup-type stuff.

Gotta get a number of things wrapped up before Kelli goes to Italy, and today was a good start.

***

Been watching some of Deadliest Catch lately. I forget what channel it's on. You know the show--it's the one where those guys are crabbing in the Bering Sea, risking life and limb for big cash payouts. They work awfully hard in the worst conditions I can imagine, going on little sleep as well.

To be out there on a boat that's pitching back and forth, working on 3-5 hours' sleep (maybe), using a wooden hammer to chip off several tons of ice in sub-zero temperatures... man, there ain't a paycheck big enough.

Kinda surprised that there's been no mention of amphetamines. I mean, no one acts like they're amped up, there's been no mention of the use of speed in that industry... weird. I would have guessed it'd be rampant.

***

Kickboxing tonight. This boy is READY.

***

Gotta boogie. Time to make some supper for the kids.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I've watched lots of that show. It's on Discovery Channel. They are all coffee addicts. I would never, ever tolerate the conditions those guys put up with. What I could not believe is one captain had his teenage girl on the boat.
The season finale shows what the guys bring home. It ranged anywhere from $12K-30K. That's a lot of money, but surely that is not their sole source of income? Or do they go out several times per year maybe. Looks miserable to me. I HATE to be cold.