Sunday, June 18, 2006

Where the Time Goes

Happy Father's Day to you dads out there. I need to call my own shortly.

I got a nice card from the family, and I imagine I'll get a nap or maybe a chance to do a little shopping later. Mostly I'd like to just treat today like any other day.

For now, sipping coffee and listening to some music will do nicely.

Current music: "Who Knows Where the Time Goes?" by Matthew Sweet and Susanna Hoffs.

***

"I just need an overwhelming amount of love. And a nap. Mostly a nap." Townes Van Zandt.

***

And Paul McCartney turns 64 today in case you somehow haven't heard. I'm guessing that when he wrote that song he had no idea he'd be divorcing his second wife on this particular birthday.

***

I took it easy last night, finally managed to overcome this restlessness and camp out in front of the TV to watch the Rangers beat the D'Backs 8-4. Good game. Gary Matthews, Jr. is all the buzz due to games like that (homer, stolen base, 2 RBIs and a great catch at the wall if I recall). But how about Jerry Hairston, Jr. with his hustle on offense and defense? So far I'm pretty impressed with what he brings to the game.

***

Current music: "No Sleep 'Til Brooklyn" by the Beastie Boys. Yep.

***

THEGIRL has been plugged up lately. Never have two parents been so pleased to have a disastrous diaper like last night's...

***

Two weeks until Kelli leaves for Italy. Have we lost our minds? Maybe.

We may have our babysitter ironed out at least. Our first choice has landed a nanny gig elsewhere this summer. She's terrific, so I'm glad she got a really plum job.

But a really ideal candidate learned we needed someone and said she'd do it before she even had the specifics. It ain't a done deal yet, but I'd say chances are this will work out.

***

I slept like a rock. I dreamed I parked my truck, a Chevy I used to have, by a river, and it slid in. I wasn't pleased, but I thought I could pull it out with my own two hands. Never got a chance to see that in the dream though.

***

Two songs I've been playing on guitar lately: "Stain on the Sun" and "God Speed You to Earth" by the Bevis Frond. Both are tons of fun, but really, the latter is about two minutes too long I'd say. Still, I like bashing out those chords, making a big noise, big noise.

***

More coffee. Ya'll have a terrific day.

No comments: