Friday, June 30, 2006

And So It Begins

We dropped Kelli off at DFW airport this afternoon.

I've gotta admit, it made me... well, a little queasy. Honestly, it kinda made my guts revolt a bit.

But she's off, and in fact called a few minutes ago from her connection in Newark. The flight was fine until the landing, when they did one of those things where the plane feels like it's falling. She--and her own guts--made it in one piece anyway.

***

Moment: As we were driving to the airport, I asked THEBOY if he had anything to say to Mama as she got ready to leave. He said, "I will miss you, I love you, and--hey, two police cars!"

And that was that.

***

So part of the preparations for this trip included some financial/retirement stuff, a rudimentary will, and life insurance (which we'd been lacking since I left my job in TEEVEE).

The life insurance guy was here today, asking us all sorts of questions, taking blood, all that.

He weighed me: 156.5. Fine, fine...

***

But see, we made these videos for the kids. THEGIRL is really too young to understand that her mother's going to be gone for a while but will return. So we shot about a half hour of various things for the kids to watch when missing their mother: Singing songs, reading books, that sort of thing. It's really sweet footage, and so far both of the kids seem to like it.

Thing is, there's footage of me on there. I was on the way to Krav Maga, and THEBOY had the camera. We joked around, and he got shots of me that made it clear that Dad's right: I'm too skinny.

Crud. I've gotta do something about that.

***

We found a babysitter, by the way. One of our original choices got back to me today. Whoo hoo!

***

Moment: As THEGIRL slept this afternoon, THEBOY and I checked on her via the baby cam. She was out, and looked so sweet and innocent sleeping there. I said something about it, and THEBOY said, "She looks like a flying monkey asleep."

***

Gotta jet--I think the flying monkey has a code brown.

No comments: