Tuesday, June 20, 2006

I was funky

Current music: "'Til We Meet Again" by Roger Joseph Manning, Jr.

***

I dreamed I was trying to explain James Brown to someone who'd never heard of him before. I was doing my best JB, barking out lines like "Bootsy--lemme hear ya!" and imitating some Maceo Parker too.

I was funky.

Good gawd, ya'll.

***

Went to Krav Maga with the wife today, and that went well. Good workout. Lotta reviewing this week since it's stripe test and all.

***

Gotta do some reading for class tonight.

***

Geoff touched on this recently. What was a turning point in your life? Did you know it at the time?

I've gone on about the nutria and how it may have changed things for me. I've had a few moments like that, and unlike the nutria incident, sometimes I had an inkling at the time what had just happened.

Example:

February of '04, sitting at my desk at Big Corporation, miserable, and suddenly someone shows up at my cube. I'll call him Mr I.T.

He'd been missing from work a while. That is, no one knew (or would say) where he was, and there were rumors that it was health-related.

I guess he was MIA a couple months. We started to talk, and he sort of poured his heart out about how he'd lost a couple days from his memory, how he'd been found somewhere, unconscious, and in a bad way generally. Went into the hospital, then into a rehab facility.

Now he was sober for the first time in years, somewhat bewildered (especially at the memory loss), but glad to be alive, and in the very earliest stages of re-discovering life without a beer in his hand.

In fact, he recounted to me how he'd had a drinking regimen even for his drive home from work. One beer was meant to last one stretch of road, another beer for another particular stretch... you get the drift.

And as he spoke, I thought, I need to help these guys. I understand this stuff, I think about it a lot, I have experience with it...

My daughter was a couple weeks from being born, and suddenly I was struck with this notion to seize my destiny and do something meaningful with my life.

Mr. I.T. probably has no idea he affected the course of my life that way.

***

Happy Tuesday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. That was awesome...a reminder that we never know in what ways we touch the lives of those around us. Also showing that it's one's own responsibility to decide how to move forward in the wake of such an epiphany. You could have had that thought and done nothing. But instead, you're moving in an entirely new direction because you chose to take action on it. In sometime in the future, there will be those who are forever grateful for the profound effect you will have had on their lives. I'm proud to have you as a brother...I mean friend...ah, same-same.